Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydro-Locked the Motor

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XK N00b View Post
    And it really wasn't. I would've been fine if I had kept my foot off the gas
    That was what i thought. It looked nice and deep with you running quickly through it and then when you stopped it wasn't much at all. Live and learn i suppose. Good luck on the claim.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I have done the same thing & my insurance replaced mine as well. I don't want a snorkel but I do like playing in the water, so I have to fab up something to do both. Sorry to hear & hope your insurance does cover it & get your rig back soon, mine took a month to get it back.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    dude I hate that your rig got hydrolocked. I can only imagine how deep the water was to get water up to your pedals.

I had some splash over into my rig, and that s*** seemed deep! Good luck with the rebuild or new engine

Great story and pic though!
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    For those that went through this and got the repair/rebuild/replacement motor, how many could tell a difference in power from the new motor versus yours pre damage?
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Depends on how many miles you have and how well you took care of it. If it was a well taken care of engine, there wont really be a drastic difference.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Depending on the situation, the water doesn't have to be that deep. Here is a buddy locking his up. He has a K&N intake installed and he cut out the fender liner below it to allow more air to get to the filter. It also allowed water to be kicked up right to the filter. Locked up tight. Luckily we were able to pull all the plugs and turn it over and shot a bunch of water out of the cylinders. He was lucky it just shut off and it wouldnt turn over at all. If it turned over with all that water in it , it probabably would have bent some rods at the very least. You can see the water never even got over the foglights, far below the factory air inlet.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    The K&N CAI is what did mine in as well, it wasn't from the fenders liners being cut up, but it was water coming thru the front. I had 20k on the clock when I blew mine, and my replacement was a reman. I can't really tell any difference.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    the stock intake box is set up pretty well to prevent hydrolocking.... as long as you leave that flap on the front which would deflect that wave of water away from the inlet. I'm not a huge fan of big conical filters for these types of rigs.... they really don't help much in terms of performance (unless the engine is running above 5000 rpms constantly. ... which we don't do with our kind of offroading) and they're more likely to ingest water.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    So, the word so far is... motor sucked up water, and blew the rear main. The block is junk and will have to be replaced. Sounds like insurance is going to cover it Better news is (so far) the insurance company hasn't been able to find a used Hemi with less milage than mine, so they'll be ordering a new long block from Chrysler to replace it with. Seats and carpet and padding have been removed to dry out. I'll be avoiding any future water crossings (at least until the snorkel is in place)
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XK N00b View Post
    So, the word so far is... motor sucked up water, and blew the rear main. The block is junk and will have to be replaced. Sounds like insurance is going to cover it Better news is (so far) the insurance company hasn't been able to find a used Hemi with less milage than mine, so they'll be ordering a new long block from Chrysler to replace it with. Seats and carpet and padding have been removed to dry out. I'll be avoiding any future water crossings (at least until the snorkel is in place)
    Lucky! That's good new man.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information