Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydro-Locked the Motor

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Glad to hear its all working out!!

Just curious..... Did the service manager look at you funny when you brought it in? Lol I bet they don't get too many commanders like that!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    Latest info: Motor was full of water, blew the rear main. Block is junk and will have to be replaced. Looks like insurance is going to cover it Better news it they've been unable to locate a used motor with fewer miles than mine so they'll be ordering a long block from Chrysler. Seats and carpet and padding have been removed to dry out. I'll be avoiding any future water crossings (at least until the snorkel is in place)

Didn't see the first one posted.. sorry
    Last edited by XK N00b; 10-26-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    So what your saying is.... you've got a snorkel on order? J/k Well hopefully it won't take them too long to finish your fix and get you back in your XK. Good Luck.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just curious..... Did the service manager look at you funny when you brought it in? Lol I bet they don't get too many commanders like that!
    He said they really don't see any with even mud tires on them, let alone mud.... and full skids, and sliders
    2008 Overland in Black
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XK N00b View Post
    He said they really don't see any with even mud tires on them, let alone mud.... and full skids, and sliders
    Where did you take it? I used to take mine to Avondale Jeep and they would all come out to look at it every time I was there.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

It's over at Airpark Chrysler Jeep in north Scottsdale. It drowned in the Verde River by Bartlett Lake. Airpark was the closest dealer. I usually take it to Avondale for it's service but, it would've been $300 extra in towing to get there.
    2008 Overland in Black

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XK N00b View Post
    It's over at Airpark Chrysler Jeep in north Scottsdale. It drowned in the Verde River by Bartlett Lake. Airpark was the closest dealer. I usually take it to Avondale for it's service but, it would've been $300 extra in towing to get there.
    From everything I have heard Airpark is one of the best so you should be in good hands.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Wow! That sucks! (No pun intended)

The photo where your grill is under is what did it. Moving too fast creates a wave front even in 18" deep water, and of course, the intake is right behind the grill on the passenger side. Slurp!

After 30+ years of 4x4'ing, I know that you get pretty much ONE (single, uno, ein) chance when going too deep. The air gets blocked off and the engine stalls out pretty fast, and if it's not doing red-line, the water won't get that far. That's the time to STOP EVERYTHING and get rid of the water - the first time it stalls. And NEVER try to restart until it's dealt with. In the Commander's stock air cleaner housing, there's a small drain hole in the bottom of the bucket. Just getting pulled out of the water and waiting for 60 or 90 seconds should clear the bucket, and in the meantime, you pull the lid and element to check it and/or replace the wet element. If you even so much as see ANY water up in the intake piping, then it's time for a spark plug pull.

I'm sure you know now that your too-soon restart moved a slug of water up the intake piping and into the engine. It doesn't take much water either, people think it takes gallons, it doesn't. Water does not compress, not even a little bit, and the clearances are pretty small in the combustion chamber space when the piston's at TDC. Half a coffee cup worth will break a rod because the piston just ends up with no place to go. Even if a piston's stroke gets stopped only a few thousandths of an inch short, it's still a disaster. A big slug of water (maybe in several cylinders) will try to push the crankshaft down and away from the block mountings, (assuming the rods don't give out first) and that sounds like what happened here.

As for insurance, isn't having insurance for recovering from doing something stupid? You know, you leave boiling oil on the stove and go to the store, and the burning kitchen takes the rest of the house with it? Texting while driving and run a light? Hydrolocking your engine? That's what those endless premiums payments are for. Of course, you don't want to make a habit of it.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Adondo, you're exactly right. Every bit of what you said happened. Sucked water, tried to restart too soon, water in the throttle body, I "knew" it doesn't take much to kill an engine with water, it's been confirmed for sure through this experience.

Worse news, insurance called me today and decided thay they are going to total the truck rather than risk any future problems from this incident. So RIP my awesome silver XK. Time to get some solid numbers from the insurance and start shopping for another ride. Dammit. I love that Jeep.
    2008 Overland in Black

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    That's to bad man sorry to hear that. What are you looking at getting?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information