Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SolidWorks

Administrator
    Blog Entries

SolidWorks

Does anyone know the pros or cons of SolidWorks?

Does anyone have a copy of SolidWorks that they are willing to part with?
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I'm a Pro-Engineer guy myself..... SolidWorks is a bit more user friendly, albeit less capable, but a well rounded product.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I want something to play with for product design that I can take to the shop and have thenm make my products from my drawings, will this program work of is there something better I should be looking at that will not cost me a fortune.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

To give you the "quick and dirty", it all depends on what your intentions are. If you're looking to have parts CNC'd, then 3D modeling yourself CAN be a huge time/cost saver.... the caveat here is that you must make the model "correctly" (just because it's the right shape doesn't mean the CNC will be able to make it). So for someone who isn't doing this for a living and/or doesn't have the experience, it is usually better to have the CNC shop do their own programming off your 2D drawings.

That gets to the next point... what level of "designing" are you looking to do with the software? If you're looking to make professional level drawings, then AutoCAD is probably your best bet... depending on the complexity of the part.

I'm not sure how much it costs, but you may want to look at Autodesk Inventor. I'm a mentor for FRC (First Robotics Competition) and they're pushing Inventor as a good entry level 3D program for the students to pick up... so i'm guessing it's very user friendly. I haven't played around with it much because FRC also provides a Pro-E Wildfire 5.0 license that I use for the robot design; and just due to lack of time I haven't had a chance to play with/learn Inventor. I believe its cheaper than SolidWorks... but don't take my word on that.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    We use Solidworks here and I am a huge proponent. I know ProE is a more capable but also more expensive I believe.
    The professional version of Solidworks which I have here at work is $4000 or so, plus subscription costs. I got an educational version for my son to learn on at home ($130 at AcademicSuperstore.com) so he could get a decent summer job while he goes to college. You can also get some pretty good tutorial packages for it.

What I love about SW is the sheetmetal package which I have been using to play around with on a front bumper design. You can build a solid bumper, shell it out to say 1/4" thickness, then convert it to a sheetmetal part and unfold it! Very cool.

Like Matt says, it's pretty user-friendly, but there is still a good learning curve (2 weeks or more) before you can become productive.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I've got a copy of solid works and it's pretty sweet. Definitely more user friendly. My buddy uses it in an architectual firm for building/room design and it's quite amazing what he comes up with. I'm not proficient with any cad program so I suppose my opinion isn't worth much but i like it.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    SolidWorks is standard in the off-road accessory biz. Very powerful, very expensive, and very difficult to learn without experience.

For quick mock-ups you can try Google Sketchup.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    I've got a copy of solid works and it's pretty sweet. Definitely more user friendly. My buddy uses it in an architectual firm for building/room design and it's quite amazing what he comes up with. I'm not proficient with any cad program so I suppose my opinion isn't worth much but i like it.
    I'm pretty sure your opinion is one of the most important ones for Jon right now.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    The thing that I liked (and i've not used many other programs) was the easy ability to assign a material to whatever surface you just layed out. If i wanted to design an Automobile Rim i could choose what alloy I wanted, Be it stainless, aluminum or any combination of things. You can also pull in material types from samples on the internet for something like a couch fabric design that you want to put on something in a building. The only other cad program i've used besides an early version of Autocad that my dad used to have (came on 3.5" floppys!) is intellicad and it was an on the cheap program that doesn't have many features. (Not sure if they even still sell that)
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    For quick mock-ups you can try Google Sketchup.
    I have played with this program quite a bit lately.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information