First off, I'm cheap, impatient and in need of some crossbars.
If I can't get what I need from my pile of scrap and buckets of misc nuts and bolts, I MIGHT see if they have something that will work at Home Depot.
If I strike out there, I'll redesign whatever it is i'm trying to make to use what I have.

After reading through the The Roof Rack Thread and checking out Matt's low profile mounts and Sal-XK's UniStrut crossbars, I came up with a plan.

Luckily they have UniStrut at Home Depot, because I don't have any on my scrap pile and I really like the stuff.
The mounts are kind of tricky due to the rail sides not being flat.
I'm not sure what Sal did, but I tried a few things that would use a single bolt, but my scrap pile let me down.
Matt got around this by using u-bolts and a slotted plate which is a cool idea that I stole.

After a couple of false starts, I came up with this pile of junk.

4 u-bolts
flat stock (3/16 I think)
the stuff with holes in it (1/8ish)
A hunk of pipe
A hunk of conveyor belt. (Matt used 'Fiber reinforced silicone rubber'. That's just a fancy name for conveyor belt)
Some rusty nuts that fit in the slot in the rails.
Not shown are some washers, nuts, and thick walled hose

After several hours and beers I ended up with this.

The nuts are welded off center and the 2 pieces of pipe are cut at an angle so that the u-bolt has room to pivot.
The pipe was then welded to the other side of the plate.

Instead of paint, I used spray on Plasti-Dip. Hopefully it will be a little more durable.

Assembled

Didn't like it so I dug up the black hose and ended up with this.

(shhhh...don't tell anyone my welds look like crap.)

With the hose on there, the crossbars are completely isolated. Not something I was shooting for, but nice that it turned out that way.

All done.

I'm going to use some Nylocks for the top nuts and cut the extra off the u-bolts.

I'm thinking of using bed-liner on the UniStrut since I'll be using it on the rack. Haven't decided yet.

Next up is to pick up some UniStrut hardware to attach the rack, and get the rack stripped since the paint is flaking off anyway.

More to come...