Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commander not starting

Junior Member Looking for Dirt

Commander not starting

2006 Commander 4.7l auto full time 4x4

It has had no problems before this with starting...

I drove it home from work backed into garage and went inside...

Me n the family decide to go eat... I hop in... dome lights kick on... insert key into ignition...
    Turn to start position... 1 click... no engine start up...

I press the brake pedal and shift into neutral... turn key to start position... 1 click... no fire up...

Radio and headlights work... no dimming of any lights (key on or key in start position)...

I have not checked voltage on starter yet...

I did notice a faint secondary click from something in steering column...sounds almost like a Solenoid when I hit the brake to unlock the column...

What are your thoughts on it...

I am leaning towards the starter but open to suggestions to check tomorrow morning...

Thanks garrett
    Have:
    '06 XK 2" Daystar Lift
    Had:
    '00 XJ 6.5" Long Arm w/ 36's - '04 KJ 2.5" RC Budget Lift w/ 245/65's
    '94 XJ 4.5" RC Lift w/ 33's - '92 XJ Stock

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I always start with the battery. Is it the original battery you have? If so it needs to replaced regardless because you are over do. Jump start if you can if it fires up after being hooked to another vehicle or after charging then it's the battery. These battery's really do give no warning before they go bad. Dozens of members that had bad batteries reported no issues before getting the no start issue like you have. Start simple before crawling underneath test the battery check the fuses and see whats up.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Yeah id say same as sal. Mine didn't show signs of being dead when it finally died. Although I had noticed it was running a bit worse right before it went. An interesting fact that some people dont realize is the battery actually fully runs the ignition system(and everything else for that matter). It's not like a motorcycle where it'll run with no battery as long as it's started so the battery going bad reduces sparking ability regardless of how good the alternator is.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    x3... being a 2006, if its an original battery its probably shot. Start with that and check the fuses.

So I put the volt meter on it, it checked out OK, tried to start...click

So I grabbed the charger... 20A charge... immediately fired up...

Thanks for help guys I was gonna tear the starter off...
    Have:
    '06 XK 2" Daystar Lift
    Had:

Nice to hear you found the simple fix. Often they will still read fine on a volt meter as well. I just took back a motorcycle battery that read 12v and was nearly new but wouldn't start my bike. When batteries plus extensively tested it they found it had an internal short. Got a replacement for free since it had warranty with them.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers

I had it tested 3 times at 2 different locations and it tested fine everytime... what should I do
    Have:
    '06 XK 2" Daystar Lift
    Had:

I am having it tested 1 last time at another location... this location tests then charges then tests so we will see what it says...

Update... tested OK
    Last edited by ErtsRide1; 11-05-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    Have:
    '06 XK 2" Daystar Lift
    Had:

Stop testing it and replace it. If you get 4 years out of a battery you've beaten it into the ground. you've already got 5 years. It needs to be replaced and unless they are using some extra scientific specialty battery testing procedures (it took batteries plus 1 day after i dropped off my battery with them to figure out my problem cause it always tested ok and thats all they do is work on batteries) they won't know. Just get a new one. You'll see.

Just the fact that you put a charger on it and it started tells you it doesn't work.
    Last edited by superacerc; 11-05-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Testing these batteries DOES NOT WORK !! I dont know why but Sal did some research and I think he can tell us why. Just replace it. My buddy just went through the same deal with his Volvo, screwing around with having to jump it every other day and having it tested at multiple places only for them to tell him the battery tested good. He bought a new one and all problems went away. We have had lots of guys here with the same issues and its always the battery.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information