Thread: Super Sliders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    Nice hit, Matt!

This was indeed one of the concerns we had with the rivets (though when you do the same thing with nutserts the body damage can be worse). The best solution we ever found at 4xG was the use of some particular specialized metal screws. Incredibly easy to install (and uninstall), weatherproof, tight and strong as can be ...

The problem is that there is only one supplier. When that fell through for a bit, 4xG had to go to the rivets as a second-best option. (There can be other problems with the nutserts that made us feel the rivets were overall superior.) I've suggested to JBA that they go back to those incredible screws, but I don't know if they will or not. The screws are a lot more expensive up-front (the place has a monopoly and you have to buy them in bulk), but if a company was in it for the long haul they would be worth the investment, in my opinion. Can be used for all sorts of products.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    What are those screws called and who makes them?

I want something that grips with a bit more surface area. What can't be seen in the pics is that the rivets also deformed the sheet metal, so that area is now compromised. I want to drill out the damaged area and correct this issue but distributing the load over more area (less chance of pull through).

Something that just screws in to a thru-hole will only distribute the load through the material that comprises the difference in the major & minor thread diameters - which isn't a lot of area unless it's a large screw. I think the limiting factor here is the XK body which needs more support.

They're still on there solid, so i don't plan on tackling this until later this spring on the summer; so that gives me time to think about it.

Thread Information