Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Sliders

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    I'd like to see those pics. These are now on my list. can't decide to paint, powdercoat, or bedliner them.
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I will be eye-balling your rock sliders very hard in a few weeks, sir - Sooo... might as well go ahead and get a WK set ready, lol.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    I will be eye-balling your rock sliders very hard in a few weeks, sir - Sooo... might as well go ahead and get a WK set ready, lol.
    Do you think you want the optional steps ($60.00) installed?
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Not if they lower side clearance.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another idea about how to finish these rails, paint , bedliner , or what ? Remember, this is what I would do, only what I would do and not necessarily what Jon may recommend. The rails will be shipped in bare metal unless you have Jon powder coat them. First thing is to clean them with a de-greaser, wax and grease remover, paint thinner works fine. Then sand the metal a little . Use a scotch brite pad or some 400 grit paper. Its not going to be too critical because they are to be etched anyway for adhesion. Basically with sanding youre getting them nice and smooth and making sure there is no welding slag that was missed. ( sorry Jon ) Next, the bare metal will need to be Etch Primed. You can buy etch primer in spray can. I use DuPont brand but all brands are basically the same. After etch priming them I would use a rock guard spray, similar to what some car manufacturers use . I use a brand called TranStar. It comes in spray can also. This stuff seems to get harder than your spray can bed liner material and its probably cheaper and easier to touch up. One can will easily do two rocker panels but maybe take 2 cans to do the rails real well. It will take a couple of coats. After the rock guard I would use a satin sheen black spray paint. You can touch up this process easily and quickly. You will be scratching the sliders up on the trails and you wont have to re-do the whole slider just to touch up one spot either. I would do the rockers also before you mount the rails. Simply sand the rockers with a scotch brite pad. The red pads are 400 grit or you could use sand paper. If you simply want to paint the rockers without the rock guard, use 400 grit paper. If you want to use rock guard on the rockers then you can use 220 grit to 400 grit paper. You Do Not use etch primer on the rockers because they are already painted. Etch primer is only for bare metal. Since I work in a body shop I have the ability to paint the rails with automotive paint and clearcoat. I wouldn't recommend this because , 1- you wouldnt be able to do it in your shop very easily, 2- it is expensive, and 3- it is not easy to touch it up. Spray paint is where its at.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Thats an awful lot to read - you made me get up to check it on my computer. Unless powdercoating is stronger than bedliner - I'd probably just take it off and bedline it. Will that be an available option in January?

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    Do you think you want the optional steps ($60.00) installed?
    I just had an epiphany - The optional steps... is that whats pictured on the site, because if so. YES!

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not meaning to de-rail the thread so real quickly, when powder coating first came out it was advertised that if you hit the part with a hammer that you would bend the steel before you scratched the powder coating. After watching all the motorcycle shows on tv they are always scratching the powder coating. Maybe there are different grades of the coating ? Surely different shops doing the coating. My idea is the easiest and cheapest process to touch up because if you slide the rail on a rock it is scratching down to the metal no matter what coating is on it, in my opinion. Carry on.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Not if they lower side clearance.
    I just had an epiphany - The optional steps... is that whats pictured on the site, because if so. YES!
    The photos show the units in their current state, this is what Sal purchased and should have soon.

I will pick up a side step from the water jet shop and have them welded to my personal sliders this week, The step goes on top of the center section of bar and does not effect ground clearance.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    The photos show the units in their current state, this is what Sal purchased and should have soon.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information