Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you need for your Jeep?

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    aout the time he was banned wasn't it?
    Worse thing I can think of for any company is to uplift their own product by stepping on another. I dont know what happened, but that sucks
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    Worse thing I can think of for any company is to uplift their own product by stepping on another.
    It was something to see. He (GetLost4x4) angrily went on and on about how completely superior his mounting system was -- something these pictures don't exactly confirm -- and then after some pressure he admitted that he had never seen the 4xGuard mounting system. He knew absolutely nothing about the thing he was attacking.

Sigh.

It's an easy temptation to pop off about your own product. I understand that. But you're absolutely right, Holaday, that it's not generally wise to talk down about other products at the same time -- especially if you don't actually know what you're talking about. That sort of thing almost always backfires. Add in the anger with which he approached the situation and ... well, I felt (and feel) truly sad for him. I have to think he was going through something tough personally to do that kind of thing.

I think he was indeed banned around then, cico. His first banning, anyway. He came back under some other name later and would rail against anything I said. At one point in his second incarnation I remember him all-caps screaming that I was lying about the fact that I have Aries tail-light guards ... in a thread in which I detailed the mounting process with pictures. His second banning wasn't long after that, I think. Like I said, it was pretty sad.

It was also unfortunate since despite the problems his products caused he was a strong figure in pushing the platform out there on the trails. A real pity.

All this to illustrate not only how very differently some businesses behave, but also how important it is to get the engineering right. I'm suspecting that when it comes to the mounting system, at least, Steel Armadillo is going to zig where Get Lost zagged, if you know what I mean!

How much for the plans or prototypes. I feel there is a better need for these than the rear sliders
    I disagree about the relative worth of Corner Guards (that's what we were going to call them, of course) compared to the 4xGuard Rear Sliders. I've been in serious love with the Sliders since we first started mock-ups years ago. At the same time, I do think that the Corner Guards would be pretty useful. Combine them with Sliders and 4xG's Rear Guard 2 and you effectively have all the benefits of a steel rear bumper replacement without as much weight added on. You'd be protected in the same problem areas, it would look waaaaay cooler (I think), and there's very little damage done to the vehicle itself if you were wanting to strip it off in order to sell the vehicle or something like that.

As I said, we never went to prototype on them, though: I came up with the design -- it's a bit like the Matrix in terms of its complexity -- and I executed a basic proof-of-concept mockup, but then other things took precedence in the production queue and they got put on the backburner. Then the business sold.

As it happens, I was actually talking today with another manufacturer about dipping into my pool of unborn designs. He was specifically after two other products -- also cool things, one for the XK and one for the WK/XK -- and I haven't had time to even contemplate where it all might lead. So give me time ... or give me an offer I can't refuse.
    Last edited by Knappster; 11-18-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added: (GetLost4x4) for clarification only
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Supporting Vendor Looking for Dirt Steel Armadillo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    As I said, we never went to prototype on them, though: I came up with the design -- it's a bit like the Matrix in terms of its complexity -- and I executed a basic proof-of-concept mockup, but then other things took precedence in the production queue and they got put on the backburner. Then the business sold.

As it happens, I was actually talking today with another manufacturer about dipping into my pool of unborn designs. He was specifically after two other products -- also cool things, one for the XK and one for the WK/XK -- and I haven't had time to even contemplate where it all might lead. So give me time ... or give me an offer I can't refuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    For what it is worth, I think it's in poor taste to intercede in the thread for a competing product in order to promote your own.
    I guess it is okay for you but not me to make a mistake and post in other business threads promoting what you are doing?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    In case you don't remember, Knappster/Steel Armadillo, you are the one who asked the questions about my designs. Shall I ignore your questions next time?

Besides which, trying to flip this accusation against me doesn't make any sense. I have no competing products, after all. I have no business. I have nothing to promote.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you're really only proving the point I was trying to make before. Your personal business interest is leading you to attack an enthusiast for being an enthusiast. It's your forum, but I sure hate to see it go down that road.

(And this after I went out of my way to throw Steel Armadillo a bone by pointing out how your design appears to be better than Get Lost's? Seriously?)
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    An external roll cage with possibly mounting points onto steel armadillo and/or 4xguard side guards.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho787 View Post
    An external roll cage with possibly mounting points onto steel armadillo side guards.
    Our rock rails are tubular so attachment of a tube exo-skeleton would look cool.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    I saw a tubular style roll cage on a cherokee and it looked sweet
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar
    i saw some 1/4 panel side protection on an xj forum. they went from the back of the back door,to the tail light. from the bottom of the back,side window,down to the lower part of the 1/4 panel.they were alluminum diamond plate,powder coated black!I'd also like to see some steal box, tail lights. also avail. for the xj. they get rid of the plastic tail lights. a steal box replaces them and they put round LED lights in them. no more broken plastic tail lights from rubbing or backing into a tree with them! since our xk's look like grown up xj's. anything that looks cool on a xj will look sweet on our xk's!
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I agree! Steel corners would be sweet.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Supporting Vendor Looking for Dirt Steel Armadillo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06blkhemi View Post
    i saw some 1/4 panel side protection on an xj forum. they went from the back of the back door,to the tail light. from the bottom of the back,side window,down to the lower part of the 1/4 panel.they were alluminum diamond plate,powder coated black!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    I agree! Steel corners would be sweet.
    I will work on this, this sounds like a quick project and we are looking for a few items that do not take as long as the bumpers do to R & D.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information