Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a trail only rig

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Buying a trail only rig

Went over the budget and decided that a TJ or LJ was possible. Starting the search this week, I will post pics as this progresses. Anyone with experience in these hit me up with sugestions.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    When I first read that, I thought: how can they buy a trail Jeep if they went over the budget? Then the light bulb went on... you mean you looked over the budget.

I had a mud racer years ago. It was a '56 Willies high hood with a 'Vette LT1, irrigation circle pivot bar-tread tires, (i.e. "tractor" tires) Saginaw racing clutch, etc. etc. The only drag was having to trailer it everywhere because is was certainly NOT road legal. There were pretty much zero creature comforts either, but then again, a serious trail rig seldom have any luxuries.

They can be fun to build. Mine didn't have a windshield, the frame had wire mesh to break up the incoming dirt clods and mud balls. The radiator was behind the seats up on the roll cage. And, for that matter, it was about 85% roll cage, and 15% original Jeep. I had military sealed ignition and a snorkel. I would literally drown before it would because the snorkel intake was above my head. I need to scan the old 35mm photos and post them here someday soon.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Should be picking up a TJ on Sunday. 5 inch lift, lockers, 4.88 gears, full Armor, Full roll cage. If all goes as planned it will be in my Garage Jan 3rd.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Nice want pic's
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

It wont let me save them from the email. I will try a different route.

•2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 4.0 -- 44k miles
    •Originally 5 speed, but I transplanted a 32rh 3 speed automatic, fresh rebuild with tranny cooler
    •35" BFG Mud Terrain's, about 85% tread left
    •4.56 gears
    •D30 front with Spartan locker
    •D44 rear with Yukon spool
    •Slip Yoke Eliminator
    •Tom Woods driveshafts
    •4" Super Lift, super ride suspension
    •1.25" Zones Body Lift
    •Full Rollcage by Jackelope
    •Rokmen Belly Up t-case skid
    •SkidRow Engine Skid
    •SkidRow Gas tank skid
    •Skid Row steering box skid
    •Front stinger bumper with winch plate
    •Superwinch I9000 with synthetic line - (not incl in sale)
    •Custom rear bumper with swing out tire carrier and hi lift mount
    •Front tube fenders with 3" flares
    •Rear tube fenders with flares
    •GenRight rock sliders
    •JKS Quicker disconnects
    •Big Daddy tie rod
    •Adjustable Upper and Lower control arms
    •AEM Brute Force Cold Air Induction
    •Neoprene seat covers front and back
    •Bestop Supertop
    •Flowmaster off road diamond plate muffler
    •Kenwood CD/MP3 with iPod hookup

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Very Nice
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Why is the owner selling after all these nice mods? Why did AJ sell his trail rig? Didnt Sal sell his trail rig?
    Why did I sell my Zj?

Consider this before you spend the money......wouldnt you rather have a camper? Tent? Trailer?
    Lift ? more toys from 4xG or the Armadillo? Tools?

Did you ask the 8 ball?

If you still want the WJ after you think through this, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    Why is the owner selling after all these nice mods? Why did AJ sell his trail rig? Didnt Sal sell his trail rig?
    Why did I sell my Zj?

Consider this before you spend the money......wouldnt you rather have a camper? Tent? Trailer?
    Lift ? more toys from 4xG or the Armadillo? Tools?

Did you ask the 8 ball?

If you still want the WJ after you think through this, go for it.
    He is a guy from my Jeep Club. Just had 6 of his vertebre (sp?) fused together and can't go wheeling ever again, and needs the cash for medical bills. My old man and I are doing this together, and I want to be able to take the really really hard lines without killing our DD (and he doesnt like taking my Jeep out without me). Being down to one rig would be terrible. The Commander is getting a custom Steel Belly Skid in the next month, and will still be the family fourwheeling rig. As for a camper, my old lady doesnt camp, and i could use my families Airstream if needed. If this Jeep Flops or breaks, no big deal, back in the garage till its fixed.

Whats the 8 ball?

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    What's the 8 ball?? Have you never heard of the magic 8 ball? Magic 8 Ball
    I was reading your post and while i like the Jeep youre getting. I was also thinking of the number of people that did and then sold them.
    I just brought that up as food for thought. Sorry to hear about your friends medical condition but happy the vehicle will be put
    to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    He is a guy from my Jeep Club. Just had 6 of his vertebre (sp?) fused together and can't go wheeling ever again, and needs the cash for medical bills. My old man and I are doing this together, and I want to be able to take the really really hard lines without killing our DD (and he doesnt like taking my Jeep out without me). Being down to one rig would be terrible. The Commander is getting a custom Steel Belly Skid in the next month, and will still be the family fourwheeling rig. As for a camper, my old lady doesnt camp, and i could use my families Airstream if needed. If this Jeep Flops or breaks, no big deal, back in the garage till its fixed.

Whats the 8 ball?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information