Thread: Rear noise?

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar

Rear noise?

Hey guys,
    Fooling around in my yard with a bit of wheeling,I noticed a noise coming seemed just from the left rear tire. Kind of a ratcheting noise.. I have the the QD2 and the elsd electronic limited slip diffs. Seems to happen when I'm at full lock making a hard left turn.. Is it just the elsd unlocking/locking so I can make the turn?
    Thanks,
    Frank
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    how many miles do you have and when was your last fluid change done?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I hear that clicking sound with every QD2 system that's gone wheeling with me you can hear it in some of the videos I have. My guess is it's normal but could be wrong.

almost 80k and since i bought it with 57k,I havent changed it myself. so ill try that first.thanks..
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

Yeah i'd definitely get some fresh fluid in there.. make sure you put in the friction modifier as well.

FYI, check out our site sponsor Synthetic Advantage; they have the gear oil and additive you need

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Fresh gear oil certainly won't hurt. However, the ELSD has spider gears with a clutch pack next to them to lock the axle left-to-right. It's not like a posi that clicks or ratchets around a turn. I believe the clutches only engage and lock the axle when slippage is sensed. I'm not so sure that what you're describing is coming from the diff.

Good luck with the hunt!

2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

There have been reports of QDII diffs chattering due to both lack of maintenance and not using the LSD additives. Anytime you're turning the clutches need to slip against each other, however pressure is not applied to the clutch packs unless slippage is sensed. But they are still in contact with each other.

Its an easy place to start especially since the fluids supposed to be changed every 30k miles (depending on which schedule you're referring to)
    Last edited by Matt; 11-15-2011 at 07:29 PM.

sounds like I'll be getting the rears fluid changed this weekend. I need an oil change anyways. I'll get them done both this weekend then. thanks.Frank

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Save some serious dough and do it your self....if you are so inclined....

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    Save some serious dough and do it your self....if you are so inclined....
    Yeah. When I recently did my 90k mile service, I had to get some dealer-only supplies. While I was there, I asked how much is gear oil for the diffs. They wanted somewhere around $35/qt.!!! I said I'll stick with Mobil1 @ $18/qt. and just pick up the friction modifier. ...and those are just savings on materials! Labor, well....

2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Thread Information