Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZJ Belt Squeak

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty

ZJ Belt Squeak

I've included a picture. My belt has begun squeaking ever since it started getting cold. Just an FYI, the 96 V8 has a self-adjusting tensioner to the belt. The belt is not coming off track, it's not damaged (it's a brand new belt I put in), I've applied conditioner to the belt - and this worked untill it started getting cold.

The tensioner is not the cause of the squeak. I've included arrows on the picture as to what I think IS causing the squeak. Taps, squeaks, and creeks drive me insane - I MUST FIX this. In order to determine what THIS is, I need a little help.

Now that I've had a chance to break this ZJ in - I've found some issues I'd like to try and resolve.

First - What is the pulley that my arrows are pointing to (I think it's the water pump) and what does it control.
    Second - Is there anything else that can cause the belt to squeak?
    3rd - My heat ONLY works when the thermo is on max heat - What could be causing this and is it related to my squeak
    4th - I've heard that if you here a squishing/gushing sound when you start the car and the AC/Heat is on - there is something wrong with the Heater Core - can anyone confirm, and is this a pricey fix - and is this related to my 3rd problem.

Thats all for now.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    I've included a picture. My belt has begun squeaking ever since it started getting cold. Just an FYI, the 96 V8 has a self-adjusting tensioner to the belt. The belt is not coming off track, it's not damaged (it's a brand new belt I put in), I've applied conditioner to the belt - and this worked untill it started getting cold.

The tensioner is not the cause of the squeak. I've included arrows on the picture as to what I think IS causing the squeak. Taps, squeaks, and creeks drive me insane - I MUST FIX this. In order to determine what THIS is, I need a little help.

Now that I've had a chance to break this ZJ in - I've found some issues I'd like to try and resolve.

First - What is the pulley that my arrows are pointing to (I think it's the water pump) and what does it control.
    Second - Is there anything else that can cause the belt to squeak?
    3rd - My heat ONLY works when the thermo is on max heat - What could be causing this and is it related to my squeak
    4th - I've heard that if you here a squishing/gushing sound when you start the car and the AC/Heat is on - there is something wrong with the Heater Core - can anyone confirm, and is this a pricey fix - and is this related to my 3rd problem.

Thats all for now.
    How do you know it's not the tensioner?

1st Whats hooked up to it? Don't look like your alternator but maybe the compressor. Look and see what kind of lines are hooked to it.
    2nd Lots of stuff can cause a squeak bro.
    3rd what do you mean max heat using the temperature blend?
    4th If you hear gushing or gurgling sounds it's probably air in the system that would be my guess.

1st - I don't have a pic available to show me whats hooked up to it. I'll get it first thing in the morning
    2nd - Lets list those things, lol.
    3rd - Heat only comes out when you turn the heat all the way up, not the fan. The temperature.
    4th - Is this normal or is there a way to purge this air out.

It's definitely not the alternator, thats to the left. The arrows I think are pointing either to the Air Compressor or the Water Pump. Confirm?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    That would be weird water pump so I'll go with compressor.

Is your blend door operated by a cable it may need adjustment I'm not sure when they stopped using cables on those.

Everything that the belt drives can cause a squeak bro so that's a long list to include all the pulleys.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    alternator on the left, your arrow points to AC compressor, water pump is down there below in the middle ( I think, hard to see ) power steering pump bottom right. I replaced the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley yesterday, one of them was starting to make a grinding - bearing sound on start up in the cold. Fix it right up.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    a water pump can be the culprit when you hear a noise like that. they typically make a grinding noise cause the bearings are wearing out. the water pump of course will make it run hot and could affect your heat. the idler and tensioner pulleys are an easy and cheap fix, probably the cheapest place to start. the ones for the V6 Commander were $16 each from Advance. I would start here since you already did the belt. The ac compressor usually doesnt make a lot of noise , they just lock up. are you losing any antifreeze ? The water pump should have a weep hole where you would see some oily/antifreeze seepage.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

I will check the the hole for seepage and antifreeze. (I also know it needs oil, but this wont cause the squeak). Yes I can tell the squeak is coming SPECIFICALLY from where those arrows are pointing. No where else. This squeak is different than from the summer. So what if it is the bearings for the AC Compressor going out. Can those be replaced easily?

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I said WATER PUMP.....I am sure I said this once already but my comment disappeared

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Does it only make the squeak when it starts up? And does it eventually go away?

PS I'm dissapointed you guys didn't know that was an AC Compressor. .. we need to have some open engine compartment discussions at our next meet!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information