Thread: ZJ Belt Squeak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty
    At the risk of speaking too early, I went to the base auto shop and borrowed their stethoscope. I listened to every pulley and the only one that sounded off was the pully on the tensioner. WTF? I replaced it about 3 months ago. So now I'm thinking that instead of replacing just the pulley I'll replace the whole assy. Got it home and tried to take it off but I think when the dealer swapped the motor they jacked the bolt up. Great!

Then I remembered I had the old pulley from a couple of years ago. Swapped that one on there and the noise went away! I'm going to find a better one from somewhere other than Autozone.

Cliff notes: Go get an automotive stethoscope and check everything.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Well as I usually do I spoke to soon. Talked to a mechanic friend and he said to put some baby powder on the belt. If it kills the noise then it's the belt. Swear to God, baby powder.

So I stopped on the way home and picked some up. With the motor off I put some, 1 tsp or so, on the top of the tensioner pulley. Started the Jeep up and no squeal! Holy crap! Stopped today and bought a new belt. Problem solved!

That was a lot harder than it needed to be. lol That's just how I do things.

Thread Information