Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ZJ Belt Squeak

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Although, funny - I have no idea why people won't just take my word for when I say it's "Coming From HERE". I've lost my interest in the topic and that's o.k., i'm going to do what I really don't want to do, and just take it to a mechanic.
    Touchy today? The clutch and stuff can be replaced but you have to evac and refill the AC to do it so that's a hundo right there easy. Which AC system is that using because if it's the old stuff they won't touch it you'll have to convert it over. I understand what there saying about where the noise is it really is a tricky thing bro knowing for sure man. The fact that it goes away worries me that it isn't the compressor bro.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Because if its coming from there then you need to replace the compressor... $$$$$$$$$$

Are you $600 confident its coming from there? If so, replace it and see if the squeak goes away. Don't know what else to tell ya other than what I already did.... I'd spend $15 on an automotive stethoscope to be 100% certain that's the true origin of the noise because its not a cheap fix. Actually, its winter.... I bet They make an AC delete kit that would be cheaper...

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    You must of messed up because I can see if it was removed and there's nothing there.
    I dont think it was removed, I think i doubled tapped it on my phone and then driod freaked....

AJ, I hear your words, read the print, but I still think it is the water pump....

Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    ... but I still think it is the water pump....
    I'm leaning towards this as well since it seems to go away after 10-15min..... engine heats up, tstat opens, less load on impeller. Due to its location in the block, it could definitely sound like its coming from the compressor if you're standing over the motor.

AJ, what happens to the noise if you turn the AC on full blast right after you start up?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    I dont think it was removed, I think i doubled tapped it on my phone and then driod freaked....

AJ, I hear your words, read the print, but I still think it is the water pump....
    Water pump seems plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm leaning towards this as well since it seems to go away after 10-15min..... engine heats up, tstat opens, less load on impeller. Due to its location in the block, it could definitely sound like its coming from the compressor if you're standing over the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    AJ, what happens to the noise if you turn the AC on full blast right after you start up?
    The squeak is present, unless you want to know whether the frequency of the squeak changes. Squeak more, less, or unchanged - but I will find out.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    My dad had a Cherokee sport with 4L that started squeeking. He thought it was the pulley. He bought and installed a new pully. It still squealed.
    I asked why they didnt replace the water pump....cause it still squeaked. He had the pump replaced, squeek (squeak) gone.

Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    The squeak is present, unless you want to know whether the frequency of the squeak changes. Squeak more, less, or unchanged - but I will find out.
    If the squeak doesn't change significantly when the AC compressor clutch engages, then its probably not the compressor. Engaged vs disengaged is a different set of bearings and also rules out the clutch itself. So that would be a good test for peace of mind.

Expect the frequency of the squeak to change though because engaging the AC clutch will cause a fluctuation in engine RPM and load on the belt.

Let us know how it sounds.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I'll repost this - it didn't load correctly.

When the compressor engages - it squeaks louder. When I started the vehicle with a/c max it was loud - I tested it while driving and any time i turn on the A/C it comes on. It's my AC Compressor.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 11-17-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Sounds like the bearings on the Compressor.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information