Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement rear diff carrier?

Member Looking for Dirt NoMatter's Avatar
    Thanks for the correction on the QDII thats whats great about this place, knowledge all around... i too have never had a problem with getting stuck, well except that one time I got high centered on the crossmember. From what I'm reading unless it's an ARB it wont benefit me in any way? I too want more ground clearance and was hoping to do a superlift this winter but I need new tires anyway so thats an extra grand I cant afford on top of the lift....if my 265's had more life on them (almost 40k) I would have been fine, but for Moab I want new meats. I have wheeled with the ESP on on 4 low its does do great! (Esp is reduced correct) Unfortunatly the snow has put a stop to my adventures till at least May.
    I thought having the mechanical advantage of the limited slip along with the QTII's brain would improve the XK's abilities. Especially if I ummm...decided to drive through a bowl in Moab, haha is that even doable with my OME?
    2007 XK 4.7 liter OME HD 265/70/17

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    For the deep snow you can get maybe worth wiring a switch to the ABS fuse so you can disable it and spin as much as you want. The bowl LOL make sure you get a video of that please A selectable locker is really the best way to go but very expensive. If you don't mind a little noise some chatter and some extra tire wear then go for the other ones.. I'm sure someone makes one that will perform decent enough. I think at this point though a SL lift would benefit you more then a locker.

Member Looking for Dirt NoMatter's Avatar
    Oops I meant "tubs" the gravy bowl no frickin way I would try that with my XK
    2007 XK 4.7 liter OME HD 265/70/17

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    it seems (at least in my mind) that the limited slip and traction control would work against each other if both were active. The limited slip needs one wheel to skip to activate the other wheel while the traction control is trying to stop that wheel that needs to slip so tbd the other will grip. With a locker the traction control won't sense a slip cause both wheels should be turning the same speed. In this case it would seem that it should work right, maybe.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    This is correct the QD2 will obtain full lock. I think it is a matter of how you're driving. While rock crawling which is what I mostly do I just put it in 4LO and don't touch the ESP this keeps the traction control touchy and reacts quickly to wheel spin. I tried it with the ESP off and yes it allows to much wheel spin for having wheels off the ground. Now in the sand and mud I will go in 4LO and hit the ESP button so I can have more wheel spin with out the computer jumping in. I found that this setting will allow enough wheel spin for most situations. The guys who need more wheel spin have tied the ABS fuse into a switch so they can have all the wheel spin they want. If your transitioning from snow to ditches so from needing lots of wheel spin to needing no wheel spin you need to be turning the ESP button on and off as needed. My only complaint so far with this system is it's not as controllable or say predictable as having a locker. But I don't think I would go without a select-able locker for a DD not with these things anyway. At this point in my build it's still the ground clearance and wheel articulation that holds me back right now.
    Hey Sal,

I thought the traction control and esp turned off in 4 low completely? And you can manually disable it in 4 hi with the button press for 5 seconds? The elsd works in 4 low straight off the wheel speed sensors?

Dave
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Quote Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
    Hey Sal,

I thought the traction control and esp turned off in 4 low completely? And you can manually disable it in 4 hi with the button press for 5 seconds? The elsd works in 4 low straight off the wheel speed sensors?

Dave
    No you cannot turn off the traction controll system completely. We have a chart here somewhere that shows the different settings but I'm on my phone so I'll try finding it later. I think maybe the ESP can go full off. In the different modes different options get shut down. Like one setting kills the part that kills power during wheel slip but keeps the brake torque part active. The only way to completely shut down the abs is to disable it. I'll look for the chart when I get home if know one finds it first. Of course it changes between drive systems.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    ^Correct. The traction control stays on while in 4 low. Otherwise it would be a useless system since we have no locking ability (except for LSD option on QDII). The Rollover/Skid protection part turns off in 4 low but without traction control we'd be stuck. My brakes get squeaky when i'm going slow and am in a dusty atmosphere so i hear everytime the traction control kicks in (even if it's a minor correction) i heard it plenty while at Big bend in certain hill climbing situations and going over heavily rocked terrain. Never needed 4 low though on that trip.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Should have said I have QDII. To me it feels as if the Traction control is off in 4 low, the light is on and there is no feel of braking to the wheels when crawling 2 wheels off the ground. The ABS does stay on, thats permanent. Unless you get mud in the sensor plug.....another story.

Id love to see that chart Sal.

Dave
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Quote Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
    Should have said I have QDII. To me it feels as if the Traction control is off in 4 low, the light is on and there is no feel of braking to the wheels when crawling 2 wheels off the ground. The ABS does stay on, thats permanent. Unless you get mud in the sensor plug.....another story.

Id love to see that chart Sal.

Dave
    QD2 in 4 low I think operates with the clutch packs not with the brakes so you're correct. I think???? LMAO let me find that chart

I can't find and can't remember who posted it I think it might have been Don. Hopefully someones memory will get jarred and know where it is. I'll keep looking though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information