Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 285/70R17 on 2.5inch lift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
    The only way you can run 285's is with a 4" lift.
    This is the answer you got on the other forum LMAO no offence to the dude but it takes more then reading all threads to give advice on modding our Jeeps but the guy can search like nobody else I guess there's not to many members over there left that are modding there Jeeps.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    I push the rears into the doors with the 4" lift....I am willing to bet its the lift design though. I would love to try 35's! Also remember that not all 285/70/17's are created equal. They are all close, but lug style and sidewall can effect if the tire rubs or not.

Come to think of it the AEV Iceland Commander runs 39's with the 4" Superlift but they did have to modify the rear doors to get the required clearance. Man that would be something - 39's! I am willing to bet that if I can get the newly modified rear arms I could fit 35's with little issue so in that light 285's might just work on a ~2" lift.
    Last edited by strokeZ; 11-20-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    I push the rears into the doors with the 4" lift....could be the lift though. I would love to try 35's! Also remember that not all 285/70/17's are created equal. They are all close, but lug style and sidewall can effect if the tire rubs or not.
    The guy who ran 35"s had to carve away like 2" out of body to stop from rubbing. The stock setup pushes forward even sitting level with the 2" lift. I'm surprised SL didn't address this with there lift. Not sure how to correct this but maybe adding a link bar to the rear or something maybe. I know the axle need an adjustable track bar because it pushes out as well sitting level.

Yeah its a classic issue with the SL - they did re design the rear arms to not push forward. Trialbyfire was looking into if we can just buy those. My only issue now with going with larger tires is that the engine will be pushing even more than it does now to get them to roll.

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    Yeah its a classic issue with the SL - they did re design the rear arms to not push forward. Trialbyfire was looking into if we can just buy those. My only issue now with going with larger tires is that the engine will be pushing even more than it does now to get them to roll.
    Ya without gears available I think 33"s might be our max a little bigger if you don't need to drive it 40 miles to work and back everyday.

Just to clarify on my previous posts about these fitting. My impression of the OP was he's willing to go at his XK with saw an trim all the crap off of it. These tires in no way will fit if your keeping your wheel wells not addressing the heat lines and such. The only way these tires will fit a 2" lift is with a insane amount of cutting things up. There's a thread on the other forum where there all saying this is insane but there all keeping there XK stock just adding lifts. A lift isn't enough with this size but chopping the front bumper and probably needing to just get rid of the wheel well and doing the pinch weld mod they should fit. But by that analogy any tire size will fit just depends on how much of your Jeep your willing to cut away

That is my impression of the OP's suggested mod as well.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    He may just want to add some Extended bump stops in back. My 32s rub bad on the back at full flex, so I would assume the 33s would be rough
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    He may just want to add some Extended bump stops in back. My 32s rub bad on the back at full flex, so I would assume the 33s would be rough
    Do you have your sway bar disconnected? Even before I got my extra lift in the back I wasn't rubbing but I trimmed the wheel well in the rear when I put my lift on.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Do you have your sway bar disconnected? Even before I got my extra lift in the back I wasn't rubbing but I trimmed the wheel well in the rear when I put my lift on.
    They are connected. Tore all the rivets off the front of the rear fenders. Could just be mine though
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    An 8" wide wheel with 5-5.5" backspace will help. I said what I did because width is just as important as diameter. Every 1/2" further out the tire sits, that's 1/2" closer to the firewall than before.... its gonna be close, that's for sure.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information