Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What years of NV245 will fit my '06?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar

What years of NV245 will fit my '06?

So much for my Moab trip I was supposed to leave for today. I grenaded my (second driver's side CV) and t-case this last weekend and am looking for a replacement TC. New ones are $1800 (ouch!) and have to come from MI.
    What XK and WK model year NV245s will drop in to my '06?
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    You're probably better off getting a used one for sure. I don't think there was any change in the NV245 for the production run. Have you looked into getting a atlas retrofitted? Might be worth the cost if you're blowing them up all the time.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    When you say "grenaded"... what exactly did you do to the tcase? If you burned out the clutches, replacing them isn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    When you say "grenaded"... what exactly did you do to the tcase? If you burned out the clutches, replacing them isn't that bad.
    Not sure what I did to the TC. 4-LO seems to work fine now that the CV is fixed, but in 4-HI it won't move and there is a pulsating slight tugging feel.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000

Drain the fluid... i bet its black with clutch material. If you don't have metal shavings in it then you're porbably just looking at a few clutches. In 4-LO more pressure is put on the clutches, so they don't slip. But in Drive, it sounds like they're slipping.

Since my Moab trip is off, I'll have some time to look at it this week. It would be nice if it's the clutch.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I grenaded my transfer case at Rausch Creek last year. I have a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7 Liter QT II and replaced it with a transfer case from a junk yard out of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 liter HEMI with QD II. Its been installed for about 1 year and two months now without any issues. So any TC should work as long as it says NV245J from either a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee or 2006-2010 Commander!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I grenaded my transfer case at Rausch Creek last year. I have a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7 Liter QT II and replaced it with a transfer case from a junk yard out of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 liter HEMI with QD II. Its been installed for about 1 year and two months now without any issues. So any TC should work as long as it says NV245J from either a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee or 2006-2010 Commander!
    Thanks. That's good because there are a lot of them out there for $300 - $600. Hopefully, mine can be rebuilt if it's only the clutches.

From what you're describing. .. that would be my bet. I'd open up and take a look. I recently priced up all of the parts for replacing the clutches and I believe it was well under $100.... and reading through the instructions it looks relatively straight forward for someone with a decent mechanical aptitude...

If You haven't already done so, download the parts manual from the sticky in the technical section. There's an exploded view of the tcase and you can order the parts from mopar-wholesale (or similar website).

Next summer I might pick up a junkyard tcase and rebuild it just so I have a spare on hand.... And because I love taking tcases apart; their internals are so cool. 8)

Yes. It would be nice to have a spare TC. It's pretty accessible and even I could probably manage swapping one out.

Sal suggested an Atlas and I've heard they are pretty tough to break but I'm not clear how that would integrate with all the electronic actuation. I suspect it wouldn't and I would have to mount a mechanical shifter...no?

Here is a photo of the blown (hub end) CV housing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information