Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What years of NV245 will fit my '06?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    The NV245J found in our vehicles is very easy to take apart and reassemble. My buddy Jay had to replace the rear output shaft seal in the TC i got from the junk yard and the entire TC had to be taken apart. He did it all in a matter of 30 mins and had it back in the Jeep.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Drain the fluid... i bet its black with clutch material. If you don't have metal shavings in it then you're porbably just looking at a few clutches.
    Good call! I drained the fluid. Looks pretty black (with no 'chunks'). Gonna pull the TC next. The clutch parts are in town and I might be back in business this weekend!
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Awesome man! Keep us informed how it works out and take some pics when you tear it down.... I'm going to have to rebuild my TC sometime in the future (from the shift motor locking it up, i know my clutches are hurting and have the fluid to prove it). I haven't rebuilt a 245 yet so any advice when you break yours down is greatly appreciated.

Matt, does your shop manual say how to get to a couple of the top side tranny mounting bolts?
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000

The section I read didn't say anything about those bolts because it was specifically for replacing the clutches... so it assumed the TC was already out of the vehicle. After the kids go to bed i'll go and check on that for you though.

.... if i don't give you an update by 9:00 Eastern, remind me! Long day with yardwork so im trying to "drink" the pain away...

a minute to spare!!!

Excellent! Thanks very much. I disconnected the drive shafts and removed 5 of the 11 bolts but reached the conclusion that I would have to remove the crossmember and let the whole transmission/t-case drop down a bit to get access to the remaining 6. Even then, it may still be tough! I'm not sure I'm up to this but will give it a try tomorrow.

Oh man i would never rebuild a Tcase UNDER a vehicle. Take it out and put it on a workbench... the extra few steps to remove the TC makes it sooo much easier, especially when you're putting it back together.

Oh, yes! I was trying to remove it--not work on it under the vehicle! Sorry for the confusion.
    I was just thinking I could unbolt it and drop it w/o removing the crossmember, supporting the transmission, etc.

ah... i hear ya!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information