Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Monroe load leveling shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Check to see if the rubber sleeve slid down on the shock. That happened to Sal and it was causing some noise.

I used some Gorilla Glue and electrical tape (to hold it until the glue dried) to make sure they stay up.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Lt_JWS's Avatar
    Going to give it a look, thanks for the help
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

just gave it a going over, best i can tell is the shock im using on the right side isn't made exactly right, the cup(for lack of a better word) isn't seating right against the upper shock mount and is bouncing around, I put some heavy bearing grease on the seat and that worked for about 4-5 bumps then it came back.... so im just gonna get them warrantied and get try another set....
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    That little silver cup on top came unseated on mine during install and I didn't noticed untill Toby saw it on the trails we just popped it back in.

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    When I installed mine Monroes, they did the same thing. The little cup that Sal and you mentioned had come unseated and the coil was in a funny S shape. I didn't realize it until I drove around the block and it rode rough. Since I already had my shocks on, I fixed them while on the vehicle.

If you take a long, small diameter punch and insert it in between the coils where it won't slide out. Then push down hard on the end of the punch close to you. You'll see the coil go down some and the little cup slide down off of the top part. You don't need it to go down much. Then take a big hammer and give it a few taps. It should pop back in.

Sal, have you noticed a better ride since we fixed yours? I know I did when I fixed mine.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    Sal, have you noticed a better ride since we fixed yours? I know I did when I fixed mine.
    The ride is a little better but it's a lot quieter now not so much noise back there now which is a good thing.

Well the new shock fixed it.... If you have a lifted commander then you need these shocks...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Cool. Glad to hear you're good to go!

Well.... it started clunking again.... hell if i know whats going on, anyone have picture of the upper shock mount (body), also im wondering if have a lift kit is extending the shock and taking pressure off.

Is it just doing going over bumps and stuff ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information