Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Monroe load leveling shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Lt_JWS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Is it just doing going over bumps and stuff ?
    Basically yes, what did you do make yours quiet?
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt_JWS View Post
    Basically yes, what did you do make yours quiet?
    Well there not totally quie just quieter now LOL. I put a heavy bearing grease where the spring was rubbing the shock that helped. Then I got the top seated properly finally and that helped as well. They still make noise back there not sure why but it's not loud enough to bother me to much any more. It could be because there longer the axle can move a lot more maybe not sure. I'll have to get a pick of the top mont for you.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I ran the stock replacements for a while and have the longer version now... never had any clunking.

Take some pictures of you shock and both mounts for us.

2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

Can you take one looking straight up the shock? Trying to get an idea of the clearance between other parts and the position of the top mount / bushing

The only other thing that comes to mind is the rear daystar lift..... If it was it though i would think i would be able to move the spring by hand. The reason i think it could be the spring is the new shocks did raise the rear a good 1/2" +. Im going to go fill up with gas and see if that take the noise away, if so i'll go to the junk yard and get a spring....

Well no go on the gas idea....
    Last edited by Lt_JWS; 01-10-2012 at 03:25 PM.

well im not gonna say its fixed but... the noise is gone. The bottom mount is too big for the bolt so i wrapped it a few times with black electrical tape.... i swear it sounded like it was coming from the upper mount, I even sat in the third row and listen to it..... its little crap like this that will piss you off until you figure it out (fingers crossed).

That's strange... keep is informed..

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt_JWS View Post
    well im not gonna say its fixed but... the noise is gone. The bottom mount is too big for the bolt so i wrapped it a few times with black electrical tape.... i swear it sounded like it was coming from the upper mount, I even sat in the third row and listen to it..... its little crap like this that will piss you off until you figure it out (fingers crossed).
    I'm going to check mine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I'm going to check mine now.
    One thing i noticed was the bottom mount was the bushing was in a "tear drop" shape....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information