Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conflict of Interest

Senior Member Getting Dirty ScorpionCrawler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
    Oh yes, and Jon I would not worry at all about being both a vendor and Moderator. Jon has as much integerity as anyone I know. I trust that he will always do the right thing.
    Well put Huey...and my sentiments exactly.
    Jon, and everyone that make this place great, keep it up.
    Still laughing about the guy without the doors giving advice.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I think the strength of this board is in it's low key/low pressure approach to helpfulness. I don't see anyone trying to build "Jeepzilla" here, and y'all have wives you hafta sneak stuff past too (I'm really looking forward to sneaking a 2" lift and 30x9 A/T's past MY wife...
    I really get pissed off at the peanut gallery on other forums that when you ask something like should i get a 2" lift or something similar they reply with: "Naw man don't do that, you need a 16" custom lift with 48" boggers and a 1000hp 454 Big Block Chevy. No I don't have one but i saw it on a show where they built one for $2million once."
    Really? That's your advice?
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    Jon should be commended for starting this thread. It shows the kind of transparency that will be necessary to handle what will be an increasingly delicate issue. I've been getting private communications from forum members or watchers who are lamenting the long-term impacts of this potential conflict of interest, yet they have feared to say anything publicly -- perhaps because they don't want you all to hate them, or they don't want to be banned, or who knows what. (If someone could tell me why the heck they write me, I'd love to know; I think it's sorta odd.)

The fact that Jon is opening up a public space for such comment is absolutely commendable and honorable -- whether folks choose to take advantage of it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
    Oh yes, and Jon I would not worry at all about being both a vendor and Moderator. Jon has as much integerity as anyone I know. I trust that he will always do the right thing.
    I, too, think Jon has a lot of integrity. No question there.

At the risk of sounding like Chicken Little, however, I think it is wrong to say that he shouldn't worry about being both a vendor and moderator. No offense to any saints out there, but I don't trust anybody to always do the right thing. At best, I trust a few folks (and I suspect Jon is one of them) to consistently do what they think is the right thing to do ... but which may or may not actually be the right thing to do. That's just life.

I happen to think Jon was absolutely wrong, for instance, in deleting the sequence of posts referred to above that could have put him and his business in a bad light; at the same time, I think he was absolutely right in undeleting those posts after I raised the issue of a double-standard at work. Jon did the right thing in the end, to his great credit, but he didn't do so instinctively. In other words, I think he does need to worry about the issue.

While I know one response is to say "If you don't like it, go home," I hope you can see that this is not a sound mentality for the long-term health of what has been a fantastic forum. The best solution is to bring any issues out into the open, as Jon is here doing, in order to confront them and deal with them. That's how strong ties are forged.

Speaking of being open, the more I think about it the more I'm not totally sure that it's a good idea for Jon to have the two names. On the plus side, it can help delineate the businessman/hobbyist aspects of Jon's role, but on the down side it can hide the fact of who's who. I'm just not sure what's best there ... not that it's my call to make, of course, but I wonder what others think?

I do want to put some more context on this issue, just to give examples of how this has been or can be a problem -- if nothing else to serve as examples for the moderators -- but it'll take me a bit to figure out the best way to do that. In the meantime, I hope folks can understand that I'm only pointing out these issues because I very much want to see this forum succeed -- and because other folks seem reluctant to talk about it.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    As far as the "two names" is concerned.... I think the two names are somewhat necessary. BUT, especially for the sake of new members, I think he should post primarily under the SA name. Its very confusing when he switches names mid-thread.

The knappster name should be used only in the "site comments/suggestions forum" where you would expect to receive feedback from an "administrator" OR in other forums when the topic pertains to site related issues. $.02

..... think of it this way, should vendors be allowed to have a non-vendor name to post under as well? I don't think so, otherwise they could post bias "reviews" for their products and the members would think its a "user" review which is a bit deceptive.

Edit: not saying that Jon would be deceptive on purpose. But as we've learned there are already members who didn't know he was the same person on both names. .... so up until now, his posts under the knappster name look like a forum regular promoting a business they like, not an owner promoting his own business.
    Last edited by Matt; 11-30-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Mike has the most eloquent way of stating the facts of the case without raising the call to arms or being offensive. Thank you for that.
    I heard several comments from others outside the forum about Jon's dual role as moderator and advertiser. I do not believe Jon is a saint,
    but I do not believe he would intentionally obstruct or interfere with another advertiser. But let us not become mushy about Jon because he
    may never come down, it's getting deep here.....

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    ... perhaps because they don't want you all to hate them, or they don't want to be banned, or who knows what. (If someone could tell me why the heck they write me, I'd love to know; I think it's sorta odd.)
    It is, Mike, because you have greater grasp on the written word and were the first to breech the subject without being offensive.
    Or as Slim Pickens said it: God darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.
    Last edited by cico7; 11-30-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    I myself am a vendor on a very high traffic car enthusiast forum, and IMHO I think it's a good idea to only have one s/n as a vendor and drop the moderation duties all together out of respect for the other paying vendors. Just put your former username or something to identify your old identity down in your sig and be done with it. You can still have fun and take shots when you are a vendor, as long as your customer service and/or product can back it up..I am new here so please don't take anything I say too seriously.

Supporting Vendor Looking for Dirt Steel Armadillo's Avatar
    Let's try to post the discussion on identities in this thread: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...-Should-Jon-Be and until the discussion closes I will use this ID only with the comment in the signature as suggested.
    Also known as: Knappster (posting by Steel Armadillo represent the business concerns of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    I still want to get back to this in more detail, but I wanted to say thanks, cico7, for the compliment though I don't know it's true.

Nevertheless, your concluding analogy made me laugh, sh*tkicker.

(It's Blazing Saddles, baby!)
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt SkidMarx's Avatar
    Knappster,
    Correct me if I'm wrong her, but don't you own this site?
    '07 3.7L, 255/75-17 BFG MT, 2" Rough Country lift, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers
    My Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
    Knappster,
    Correct me if I'm wrong her, but don't you own this site?
    He sure does, so ultimately he can do whatever he wants.. but he's trying to do right by the members and other sponsors. If his members and other sponsors aren't happy the forum won't succeed and grow.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information