Thread: As promised - Rubicon Trial report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As promised - Rubicon Trial report

Last spring, I promised a Rubicon Trail report. Sorry for the very long delay, but life has just stood in the way and the work computer won't let me posts/photos/etc.

I went up there and scoped it out, having never been before and only having internet sites to go on. I couldn't find anyone locally who wanted to go when I was available (the joys of having weekdays off) so I went with just myself and my bouncing 2yr old back seat passenger.

I went into this with no real intention of beating up my rig. Finances are not great right now and the last thing I wanted was a broken rig or a tow bill home. I beat the @#$ out of my old rig over the years, and while I enjoyed every second of it, the repair bills and armor replacement costs I had on that would kill me now.

So to spoil the ending up front, I did not make much of the run. I went in from the Tahoe side (lots of pretty country there) knowing I probably would not make it through. I have pretty thoroughly explored the Desolation Wilderness end in previous trips. When I got to the point where I would obviously start pounding my armor, I turned around.

For those others interested, a 2" lift WILL NOT MAKE IT. I walked in further than I drove, it was a good excuse to stretch my and the youngun's legs. A 2" lifted rig (such as mine) has zero chance of getting through without major armor damage, and most likely having to hi-lift over several places. I am not even sure that would be enough, but if you were intent on doing it no matter what the consequences to your rig, you might make it.

Based on what I saw of El Cid's 4" lift at WCCC 2010, a 4" lift most likely could make it through the areas I saw, as long as it was well armored and you didnt mind using it. I would expect to come out with some damage anyway. While I was there I saw an unmodified Hummer coming back out, dragging some part that had partially ripped off underneath. They didn't make it. Aside from the normal Rubicon's etc I saw in the area were several old Nissan's or other trucks, highly modified, with between 2 and 3 feet of undercarriage clearance.

I was there just before the Jeeper's Jamboree, but even though it was July, there was still plenty of snow.
    Last edited by WanderingTs; 12-07-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Thread Information