View Poll Results: Would you cut out center frame support to install a new bumper?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (a replacement part is provided)

4 44.44%
  • No (I want to keep it stock)

5 55.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you remove the front frame support for a better bumper?

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Would you remove the front frame support for a better bumper?

Here is the question...

I have spent the past month trying to come up with a front bumper that I like and I keep running into the same problem, the front cross bar is in the way. Look at these photos and take them into consideration when you answer the question:

In this version, the winch sits in front of the cross bar, I have three choices:

1) leave it where it is
    2) mount it above the cross bar (no real support available)
    3) remove the cross bar and mount the winch in that location

option 3 does several things, by moving the winch back towards the grill and up a little I can GREATLY increase the approach angle, I can reduce the size of the bumper, bumper weighs less and in my opinion a better looking bumper is installed.

If you are willing to remove the center support, I would provide a replacement support which would be installed PRIOR to cutting out the center support for frame integrity.

In the second photo you can see the 4xGuard skid plate installed, with this bumper modification I would be able to keep the approach angle that you see in the skid plate and the bumper would come down to that point for a continuation of protection.

What are your thoughts?
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I would cut it out.... but i can see where others may be hesitant.

Most suspension manufacturers offer replacement bracketry for suspension items that require cutting to install their lifts. So if you buy their lift, you know that if yyou ever want to return it back to stock you can just buy the replacement bracket. Might be something to offer with option 3... let them know you will sell/provide a bracket in the event they ever want to remove the bumper and go back to stock.

Edit: just realized that i didn't fully understand your post... looks like you already said exactly what i said about having a "replacement crossmember"

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I just realized that i didn't fully understand your post... looks like you already said exactly what i said about having a "replacement crossmember"
    Correct, If you cut out your OEM cross member there would be a replacement piece that everything would bold onto instead. Going back to stock really isn't an option unless you want to buy new fenders since you have to do some cutting on those anyway (but it is possible).
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

That's a good point....

So my vote stands! Cut it out, move that winch back, smooth it up, then give me one

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Cut it out, I like the closer & cleaner look. Plus don't really see a down side, will be getting a bracket to use that will keep the needed support.

Would like to see pics once completed & how much. Would be nice to have this before Moab along a front guard.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When you talk about modifying the frame, you are now modifying the basic engineering of the Jeep's design. That piece is the way it is for a reason...maybe not a good reason, or maybe you could make it better and stronger, but still I don't know why Jeep made it that way so changing it doesn't appeal to me.

Just as a marketing thing, I think you will limit your sales numbers to those folks much more hardcore than otherwise might be interested if you get into frame modifications. If I understand what you are asking, it also eliminates self-install for those of us who aren't up to home welding but can do most bolt on applications.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The Getlost bumper required that we cut off the ends of the front bar, they served no purpose that I could determine anyway so I did not have an issue with that. The front cross bar is what the bumper is attached to and the hood latch but I do not see any real structural purpose for it other than a mounting point for those two items.

My design would be the center section and then replace it with something else, similar to what was done here:

Except instead of an overlay like the example shown, I would make a complete replacement piece that would connect on both sides to the actual frame structure and provide the mounting plate for the winch.
    Last edited by Knappster; 12-07-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Im with Jon on this...

As long as you're replacing that section with something as strong as, or stronger, to meet your purpose, there's no problem. I would hope that it is "bolt in" however.... if you limit the installation to require welding, that will definitely shy people away.

But structurally, stronger is better there.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Even though I intend to keep my Jeep for a long time, I don't ever like modifying my vehicles in a way that they can't be returned to stock.

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar

And then put something stronger back in. And then why not plate the subframe in front? Is that posible? (btw, I'm leading up to an SFA swap with this last question)
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information