View Poll Results: Would you remove the front frame support to install a new steel winch bumper?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would cut that piece, I plan on installing an aftermarket steel bumper someday

8 57.14%
  • Yes I would cut that piece, but I don't plan on changing my bumpers

2 14.29%
  • No I would not cut that piece, but I would like a steel replacement winch bumper

1 7.14%
  • No I would not cut that piece, but I would like a steel replacement non-winch bumper

2 14.29%
  • No I would not cut that piece, but I don't plan on changing my bumpers on this vehicle

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you remove the front frame support for a better WINCH bumper?

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Would you remove the front frame support for a better WINCH bumper?

New thread created with updated poll.

Would you remove the front frame support for a better WINCH bumper?

1) yes I would cut that piece, and I plan on installing an aftermarket steel bumper someday.
    2) yes I would cut that piece, but I don't plan on changing my bumpers.
    3) No I would not cut that piece, but I would like a steel replacement winch bumper
    4) No I would not cut that piece, but I would like a steel replacement non-winch bumper (steamline bumper)
    5) No I would not cut that piece, but I don't plan on changing my bumpers on this vehicle.

Here is where I am at today WITHOUT removing the cross-member:

Here are some photos of another builders over-lay which shows where I would remove the item and drop the winch in that space with plenty of support to be as strong or stronger than stock:

Last edited by Knappster; 12-08-2011 at 10:39 AM.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yes, for a winch bumper I would prefer to cut that piece to keep the winch more "tucked in" as opposed to sticking out 18" in front of the bumper...... And I would like to install one someday.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I would cut out the front frame support if it meant making everything stronger and like Matt said, if it helps keep everything tucked in.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Jon, you should bring those pictures into this thread too to explain/show why cutting that section (and replacing it with stronger framework for the bumper) is necessary to make a winch bumper that doesn't excessively protrude in front.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Jon, you should bring those pictures into this thread too to explain/show why cutting that section (and replacing it with stronger framework for the bumper) is necessary to make a winch bumper that doesn't excessively protrude in front.
    1st post updated to show photos from other thread.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    IMHO that bumper sticks out way to far. Is there an option to have more of a streamlined bumper if the winch would not be on it?
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    agree, sticks out too far.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    IMHO that bumper sticks out way to far. Is there an option to have more of a streamlined bumper if the winch would not be on it?
    Yes, I plan to make a "streamline" bumper but it cannot include a winch. That is option 4 in the poll.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

And to be clear.... it sticks out too far because that crossmember is where the winch really needs to sit if we want a winch bumper that's more streamlined than that.... so for those who want a winching bumper, you'll need to consider the alternatives if you're afraid to cut out that section (and bolt in something stronger)

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    And to be clear.... it sticks out too far because that crossmember is where the winch really needs to sit if we want a winch bumper that's more streamlined than that.... so for those who want a winching bumper, you'll need to consider the alternatives if you're afraid to cut out that section (and bolt in something stronger)
    Exactly, there are only three options if you do not remove the cross member:

1) Mount the winch in front of the cross member like my current R&D design as shown in post #1
    2) Mount the winch above the cross member in front of the grill (similar to the GetLost bumper)
    3) Mount the winch below the cross member and reduce your approach angle.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information