View Poll Results: Would you remove the front frame support to install a new steel winch bumper?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would cut that piece, I plan on installing an aftermarket steel bumper someday

8 57.14%
  • Yes I would cut that piece, but I don't plan on changing my bumpers

2 14.29%
  • No I would not cut that piece, but I would like a steel replacement winch bumper

1 7.14%
  • No I would not cut that piece, but I would like a steel replacement non-winch bumper

2 14.29%
  • No I would not cut that piece, but I don't plan on changing my bumpers on this vehicle

1 7.14%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you remove the front frame support for a better WINCH bumper?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I want to add that are unibody is stronger then most unibody's I've delt with. I was impressed on how thick it was in some sections.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XK N00b View Post
    I thought about how it would behave in an accident having been reinforced. The car wouldn't bend as engineered, but something's got to give and (call me selfish) I would rather it be the other guy.
    I was in a crash on the freeway this past spring. The car I hit and the car that hit me were both totaled. Thanks to my steel bumpers I still have my Commander.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Sorry about the confusion on the "subframe", that's just what I call it. Sal descibed waht I meant pretty well.

MY vote is yes I'd remove the thin piece, install something thicker and stronger, hopefully add a steel bumper to it, and while I'm at it add steel plates to the frame from the front to the firewall (for stability across many situations)
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I'd like to remind everyone (because i think a lot of guys may be new since we had this thread a while ago) that by cutting that crossmember like jon is suggesting, we can hopefully end up with a bumper along the lines of this (which is the best winch bumper ive seen for an XK yet):

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd like to remind everyone (because i think a lot of guys may be new since we had this thread a while ago) that by cutting that crossmember like jon is suggesting, we can hopefully end up with a bumper along the lines of this (which is the best winch bumper ive seen for an XK yet):

Thats the bumper setup I want
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I like that, minus the winch. I dont really need one, and if I did I would want a reciever for a multi mount. With that design though you could probably have one for a winch that needs the cross peice removed, and one without that does not. Everyone would be happy then, and it would be cheap from a manufacturing standpoint too.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    Thats the bumper setup I want
    I would like a side view to see how it sticks out.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    I would like a side view to see how it sticks out.
    Based on those lights, looks Like it doesn't stick out any further than the stock bumper

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Here's another pic if it helps (without the front hitch receiver):

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I'm on my phone so Im not going to look for it but. But segorea or something like that the guy from Korea has a nice thread about removing that section and putting the winch in it's place and there is a WK that did to. So there's some pics out there someone can dropp in here to look at.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information