Thread: How To: Install 4xG Matrix

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty

How To: Install 4xG Matrix

This is my first real attempt at doing a write-up. So, If I'm forgotten anything, or if there is a question area let me know - I'll try and suppliment with pictures and fill it in over the next couple days.

If you do NOT have the stock tow hooks that came with the Jeep you'll need to get the mounting brackets. These brackets do NOT come with the nuts please acquire the nuts. Autozone, Pepboys, O'reily's (my favorite), should have the ability to test the thread pitch.

You'll also HAVE to remove the grill and bumper. So i'm including this in my write-up.

First go ahead and pop the hood

There are rivets holding the grill in place. I used a flat-head screw driver to pop these out. In my picture I already removed them, lol... But for those who don't know what they look like, I'll update one of these pictures to show these rivets in place. I'll also tell ya how many are there so you'll know when you've got them all.

Store these rivets in a safe location - I put all of my rivets in the driver-side cupholder.
    Once all of these rivets have been removed, it is ok to remove the grill - Set it out of the way

Next we'll need to start removing the bumper
    If you check the top edges of the bumper there is a little screw in both of these edges. Remove these screws. Place them in a safe location where they won't be trampled or lost. (I put them in the passenger side cup-holder)

Driver side (view taken as if look UP at the bolt)

Be sure to unplug your fog lights (for those who have them). These twist out just like your head lights. Might require a little force, but use your discretion. Thanks CmmdrDan for this insight.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 12-15-2011 at 06:31 AM.

I let mine hang, like so. Nothing wrong with that... Just be careful not to break them. You can hang them behind something if you like. Just don't forget that you need to plug them back in once everything is done.

Remove these rivets as well and don't confuse them with the onces you removed from the grill. Place them with the other rivets, screws, etc that hold the bumper in place.

Underneathe the bumper are 3 MORE bolts.. unscrew these... place these with the other bumpe-associated rivets, screws as well.

There are also rivets that keep the bumper in place and attach it to the wheel wheel. Remove these rivets - I'd supply a picture but I broke these a long time ago, lol.

NOW is the time to pull that bumper off.. it SLIDES OFF.. so pull towards you. Start from one end and go to the next... you won't hurt anything... get to work.

The brackets that you ordered need to be placed behind this metal housing that is here. Unscrew this, set the screw inside the metal housing.. and place these also in a location where you will not trample, step on, or otherwise lose - lol. I placed them on the floor of my Jeep.

It should look like this once you have unscrewed it and removed that piece of metal (I have no idea what the name of it is.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 12-12-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Wallaaaaaa - After everything has been removed - This is how your WK should like (and how your XK might look). We are ready to begin installing stuffs.. yayyyy rawrrrrr!!

Pull these brackets out of the bag, get them ready... they are next!

Place these brackets LIKE SO... so that they fit... Just like a puzzle!! yeeaaahhhhh.

Passenger side

Driver side

Retreive your first piece of 4xG mounting parts and install! (Part numbers XG-K200.01 and XG-K200.02) Pictured BELOW!
    It will be bolted to the mounting brackets you just placed inside the cross member. Use the nuts you PURCHASED, and hand tighten this part to the bracket. (4xG stresses that you do NOT fully tighten... so I stress you just hand tighten.)

Passenger Side - follow this procedure for both sides

Please pay close attention to how these backing plates are placed inside the cross member. There are two squares on each of these brackets.. you want the side of this bracket with the GREATEST distance between the squares facing OUTWARD. Match these up with the holes that go through the frame. Line everything up because we will be installing the inside mounting brackets next!

Get your inside mounting brackets - part numbers XG-K200.03 and XG-K200.04) using two 1.25” x 7/16” hex bolts and install them.. Place bolts in the holes and screw them in, with your other hand hold the inside back plate in place and also hold the nut over the hold while you twist the bolts in. Picture below! (In this picture I used the wrong screws - I did fix this, but don't make my mistake, I had to go back)
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 12-12-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Remember those two black steel 'cups' with a single screw we removed from the cross member behind the bumper to place the OEM mounting brackets on? Go ahead and put those back on. and then it is ok to go ahead and Place the bumper back on the Jeep - You do not have to bolt and fasten it back onto the Jeep just yet - In fact, I would recommend you not do that. Just put the bumper back on.

You should have the outside brackets, backing plates, and inside brackets installed at this time. We are now moving on to the 4th item. The bow shackle brackets aka Part Numbers (XG-K221.05) on the outside of the mounting brackets we just installed. Start by aligning the rear most hole of the bow shackle bracket with the rear most hole in the mounting brackets. Use three 1.5” x 1/2” hex bolts with 1/2" lock flange nuts. Pictured below is how it will look.

Assemble the 4xGuard Center bracket with the two sides that go on it... Part numbers XG-K220.10 to the light tab brackets part number (XG-K221.07 and XG-K221.08) with the provided 3/4” x 3/8” hex bolts and 3/8” lock nuts. Do this over grass or in your lap to prevent scratches and stuff to the face of it (prevent rust).

bolt the bumper back on, reinstall the grill, reconnect your fog lights and BAM!!! Check for tighteness and allignment. Make sure everything is nice and tight. I never really truly specified when it was ok to go ahead and tighten everything. This is a step that can practically be done at the very end.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 12-15-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Awesome job man!!

You just made one mistake... you forgot this isn't JF. We don't need to post all of our threads in the same "general forum" where they'll eventualy get drowned out and lost.... we actually have a tech article area: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/forum...s-Staging-Area

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Nice Job sir. I wish i was able to actually help. Instead of take the bumper off and put it back on..

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Awesome job man!!

You just made one mistake... you forgot this isn't JF. We don't need to post all of our threads in the same "general forum" where they'll eventualy get drowned out and lost.... we actually have a tech article area: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/forum...s-Staging-Area

Moved it over to the tech staging area.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Awesome job man!!

I coyldnt seem to post out in the 'how to' section shop I just created it In general and hoped one of you guys would move it lol.

Thread Information