Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RPM not super steady?

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Roger! I'll get on it this weekend. Thanks guys!
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Member Looking for Dirt
    Hey just to add my .02 pennies, had the same problem and it was the throttle position sensors. It's mounted right next to the IAC.
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Hey patrick! Thanks. What did you have to do to it? Been a long time.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers

Member Looking for Dirt
    Yeah it's been awhile, savannah is still the same. There is a new atv park, big nasty atv, that just opened up and there allowing jeeps and trucks there now. It's about 1600 acres. Next time your in town we'll have to check it out.

It was kinda crazy for the longest time I was watching my RPMs flucuate after starting the jeep, but after driving it would be fine. Well as time went on it stated doing it all the time. First start up, stopped in traffic, when ever. I read on the other forum where another member had the same problem, everyone kept saying IAC, but he came back and said it was his throttle positon sensor. Since the throttle position sensor was the cheapest I went with that. I believe it's only held in with 2 torque bits or star bits and electrical connector. It was a pretty easy fix.
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Thumbs up

I've thought my idle tended to 'wander' a bit myself! I was actually turning a sharp corner today in a heavy rain, and it just about died on me - first time THAT'S ever happened (I mention the sharp turn, because it's a foot off the pedal manuever, and the rainfall, just in case something is getting "moist," that SHOULDN'T)!

I believe the cold idle is set at 800 rpm on the 285; because this is Pittsburgh, and because of my previous experience with other V-8 engines in cold climates, I bumped the cold idle to 950 rpm, which doesn't really do ANYTHING when you're in gear, but it does warm the truck a little faster when you idle it on cold days!

I WILL try cleaning the IAC with a little Sea Foam tomorrow though - before the cold weather settles in again!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I've thought my idle tended to 'wander' a bit myself! I was actually turning a sharp corner today in a heavy rain, and it just about died on me - first time THAT'S ever happened (I mention the sharp turn, because it's a foot off the pedal manuever, and the rainfall, just in case something is getting "moist," that SHOULDN'T)!

I believe the cold idle is set at 800 rpm on the 285; because this is Pittsburgh, and because of my previous experience with other V-8 engines in cold climates, I bumped the cold idle to 950 rpm, which doesn't really do ANYTHING when you're in gear, but it does warm the truck a little faster when you idle it on cold days!

I WILL try cleaning the IAC with a little Sea Foam tomorrow though - before the cold weather settles in again!
    It's possible you might have felt the computer reduce the power from the engine I don't know how fast you were turning so just a guess.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    It's possible you might have felt the computer reduce the power from the engine I don't know how fast you were turning so just a guess.
    Right turn from a stop light (NO right on red). VERY hard 90 degree turn, so you gotta nudge her out there, and then roll through the turn. You run into quite a FEW of those actually in these ancient boros with narrow streets in Pittsburgh; it makes you see why they sent the CRD's to Europe. As bad as old, large, northeastern cities are, 900 year old ox carts paths in Rome, Athens, Paris, & London HAFTA be 10x worse!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf550 View Post
    Yeah it's been awhile, savannah is still the same. There is a new atv park, big nasty atv, that just opened up and there allowing jeeps and trucks there now. It's about 1600 acres. Next time your in town we'll have to check it out.

It was kinda crazy for the longest time I was watching my RPMs flucuate after starting the jeep, but after driving it would be fine. Well as time went on it stated doing it all the time. First start up, stopped in traffic, when ever. I read on the other forum where another member had the same problem, everyone kept saying IAC, but he came back and said it was his throttle positon sensor. Since the throttle position sensor was the cheapest I went with that. I believe it's only held in with 2 torque bits or star bits and electrical connector. It was a pretty easy fix.
    I'd love too. I'll also check out that sensor. I miss the old place.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I had a little trouble following war wagon's line there, but (did I say that) I got it now....rough idle, trying to pull through ....Take a look at the spark plug threads, they addressed rough idle. A wider gap or worn plug can add to the idle issue.
    I have had problems in the past, but not since I replaced my plugs.

Lightbulb

Got new plugs three weeks ago - .040 gap. First time I've ever had that issue, and the Jeep wasn't completely cold (I'd driven about a mile & half in heavy stop 'n' go traffic to that point), and it was VERY damp & rainy yesterday. I'm running 89 octane with a Superchips 87 tune, so theres most of the mitigating factors I can think of, for reference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information