Thread: How to install lighted clinometer

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

How to install lighted clinometer

I installed my illuminated smittybilt clinometer. I decided to mount it on the flat part of the dash directly above the radio. Since it is lighted I wanted it to come on with my dash lights. I used my light probe to sniff around behind the dash for a wire carring the dash light power to the heater controls. Once I found that I just tapped into it. Then I just grounded the other end to a screw on the radio. I had to drill three holes, first I screwed the bracket to the dash then I drilled threw the bracket and the dash for the wires to go threw. I also drilled threw some plastic under the dash for my wire route.

First you need to take the dash off and then the trim around the shift knob then the plastic around the shift knob so you can pull out the heat and ac control part of the dash.

This is the wire I tapped into for the power.My supplies are running low so I just used what I had.

As you can see the wire comes threw the dash then threw the plastic below that. Then just route the wire to where it needs to go.

The finished product! It looks real good real clean like it came with it. I really really like this thing and had a blast with it on the trails. I pretty much giggle every time I kick the lights on and this thing lights up.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    On your photo labeled "this is the wire I tapped into" - do you have the ability to add an arrow or something? All I see is a buncha wires and I am not sure which you are referring to.

Otherwise, AWESOME install thread from you, as usual.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTs View Post
    On your photo labeled "this is the wire I tapped into" - do you have the ability to add an arrow or something? All I see is a buncha wires and I am not sure which you are referring to.

Otherwise, AWESOME install thread from you, as usual.

Done

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Looks good man!

Only thing I would change is to highly recommend tapping into a known 12V supply that isn't going into any modules. Something like the cigarette lighter. With all of the computer controlled electronics on these vehicles, if you just use a test light you may end up tapping into something that you think is a 12V, but really a signal for one of the modules and that can cause issues.

I figured since it only had power when I turned the dash lights on is that's what it was. I didnt want to do the cig lighter because it would come on all the time. This way it only comes on with the rest of the dash.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I got ya... you just want to be careful tapping into a random wire without knowing what it actually goes to. Just a caution and something to keep in mind when splicing into wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I got ya... you just want to be careful tapping into a random wire without knowing what it actually goes to. Just a caution and something to keep in mind when splicing into wire.
    I hear you I purposely went to that section looking for the dash light power source. I cycled every switch on the panel and the only time that wire powered up was when I kicked the dash lights on. I normally run all my power straight from the battery but like I said this time I wanted it to light up with the dash.

Thread Information