Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tire wear question

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    I thought Rusty's had a JKS track bar that worked too?
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    No Matt, if you rotate the wheel, you change the direction of rotation. If you have directional tires,
    you change the flow of the tread. Originally, you had to keep radial tires going the same way.
    That is no longer true. Directional tires are still built to rotate one way.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    lol... brain fart?The outside tread is always the outside tread regardless of where you mount the tire on the vehicle.The only way to change this is to dismount the tire and flip it over on the wheel
    Edit: think about it.. does that mean if you cross the tires then you'll see the back of the wheel instead of the front?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    I thought Rusty's had a JKS track bar that worked too?
    That's who I was thinking of. They made a track bar for there 4" lift.

Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    No Matt, if you rotate the wheel, you change the direction of rotation. If you have directional tires,
    you change the flow of the tread. Originally, you had to keep radial tires going the same way.
    I see so my taking the front right and putting it to the left rear your changing which direction the tire spins in. I'm guessing my tires are directional tires do to the tread pattern I'll have to look.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure someone here ordered the rusty's track bar one of the WK guys I think.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I think Nathan (Omelet) has one.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    You misunderstood what I said. Your post made it seem like you thought the inside tread (or inner sidewall) of the tire would be on the outside if you crossed the rotation which isn't true..... the inside of the tire stays on the inside regardless of where you mount it on the vehicle. So having whitewall mounted "inside" doesn't even matter, you'll never see.

Sure, the direction of rotation changes, but the inner tread is still on the inside of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    ...I see so my taking the front right and putting it to the left rear your changing which direction the tire spins in. I'm guessing my tires are directional tires do to the tread pattern I'll have to look.
    If you dismount the tire and turn it around you can keep the same direction;however,
    you would have the other side of the tire on the outside.
    Back to you Matt-

So you're talking about dismounting the tires from the rim, flipping them over and then rotating them?

When you said this;
    I missed that it was rear tire, but if you cross, you put the inside sidewall on the outside.
    If you have blackwall tires, may not be an issue. If one side is whitewall you will look funny......
    I thought you were talking about just doing a normal cross rotation....

If you don't dismount the tires from the wheels, the inside tread always stays on the inside. If you dismount and flip the tire on the wheel, obviously the inside tread goes to the outside. I just didn't realize that's what you were talking about doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    So you're talking about dismounting the tires from the rim, flipping them over and then rotating them?
    When you said this;
    I thought you were talking about just doing a normal cross rotation....
    If you don't dismount the tires from the wheels, the inside tread always stays on the inside. If you dismount and flip the tire on the wheel, obviously the inside tread goes to the outside. I just didn't realize that's what you were talking about doing.
    Yes, I am talking about maintaining the rotation of the tire on a cross swap.

Ah. Well that explains it.

If you have directional tread id just do a front to rear rotation then. One of the benefits of cross rotation is changing the direction of rotation, which you obviously can't do with directional tires. It wouldn't be worth it, IMO, to dismount & rebalance all the tires every 5-6k.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information