Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front End Noise

Got the bushings on, of course the upper screw on the first one didn't want to come out or go back in. Tried a few different ways but it would stop and I didn't want to cross thread it. Ran to my shop and grabbed a 1/2-13 tap to clean out the hole, still went in a bit hard, seems like it was cross threaded for the factory (looks like a nut welded on the backside of the frame). Of course after I got that side put back together the otherside took about 5 mintues.

The knock appears to have gone away, we'll see as time goes on though. I'm going to check the bolts again tonight to insure they are torqued down fully.

The bushings I bought where Raybestos (MADE IN USA was on the bushing) from Rockauto and $23 shipped

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Good to hear... lol except for the issue with that one bolt!

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Cross threading a bolt is just as good as locktite. HAHAHAAHA!!!!! srsly j/k
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

All depends on the angle of cross thread, right? The larger the angle the more stress added and stronger it will weld itself in place unless, of course, it shears off. The key is getting it to the point of no return and no farther......

Member Looking for Dirt cprokopf's Avatar
    I'll be replacing the sway bar bushings on my WK next weekend. I had a similar noise and took it to the mechanic. They told me nothing was wrong......three weeks later the ball joint failed and my entire wheel fell off (and tore the hell out of everything inside the wheel well). I went ahead and replaced the other side ball joints too. Now my front end is making an horrible racket when the front end bounces. I'm hoping its just bushings.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cprokopf View Post
    I'll be replacing the sway bar bushings on my WK next weekend. I had a similar noise and took it to the mechanic. They told me nothing was wrong......three weeks later the ball joint failed and my entire wheel fell off (and tore the hell out of everything inside the wheel well). I went ahead and replaced the other side ball joints too. Now my front end is making an horrible racket when the front end bounces. I'm hoping its just bushings.
    if its still there afterwards, post up and we'll help you troubleshoot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information