Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Spare Tire Carrier

Member Looking for Dirt naidib04's Avatar

Rear Spare Tire Carrier

Has anyone thought about modifying the spare tire carrier used on the KJ? I may look into mounting one of those somehow on my WK.
    2006 WK Limited - Hemi, QDII, OME HD with MLL, 265/70R17 Firestone Destination MT, Gutter Guard Grill, Cobra CB with 3' whip, Custom 3'' exhaust, aFe CAI with Pre-filter, Low Profile Driving Lights, Saguaro 4xC CB mount, Rear Hitch Recovery with 3/4 D-Ring Shackle, Front Tow Hooks, Superchips Flashpaq 3875, Shorty Antenna, Rola Roof Rack, Rusty's Adj. Rear Track Bar

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by naidib04 View Post
    Has anyone thought about modifying the spare tire carrier used on the KJ? I may look into mounting one of those somehow on my WK.
    Do you have any photos or links?
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

2006 WK Limited - Hemi, QDII, OME HD with MLL, 265/70R17 Firestone Destination MT, Gutter Guard Grill, Cobra CB with 3' whip, Custom 3'' exhaust, aFe CAI with Pre-filter, Low Profile Driving Lights, Saguaro 4xC CB mount, Rear Hitch Recovery with 3/4 D-Ring Shackle, Front Tow Hooks, Superchips Flashpaq 3875, Shorty Antenna, Rola Roof Rack, Rusty's Adj. Rear Track Bar

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If your talking about putting that on the rear gate there will be issues especially with a 32" MT. A serious amount of reinforcing will have to be done. And you may never get it to quiet either.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Not only would it need a lot of reinforcement... it'd also be a PITA to open/close the rear hatch. The KJ has a swing away door, not a lift gate.

Yeah I know this. Just trying to find a quick way to mount it. It is fairly difficult to mount t on the roof living in Chicago with all these low clearance parking structures.

Theres a few things you can do to fit a fullsize spare in the stock location...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    They sell ones that mount to the tow hitch then just tie into the frame rail back there for some support. I've seen a member or two make that setup work.

Here's the How To (that Sal needs to move to the How To section so I can find it faster ) for fitting a 265/70/17 in the stock spare location:

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ighlight=SPARE

^^that's a hell of a lot less work than trying to get a KJ mount to work.

Yeah I've seen those too. I hope to be moving from Chicago soon so it really won't be a problem long. I'll be mounting it on the roof rack then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information