Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VIAIR 400P-Automatic Compressor Kit

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yeah it is one hell of an advantage... but not everything is eligible for the shipping, and it does cost money to be a member of prime.

Here's an E-mail i sent to VIAIR. I'll keep you guys informed. I definitely want to change the gauge on this thing... but for $80+, I'll just buy a new tire inflator for $30.

To whomever gets this E-mail.... Happy New Year!

I got a 400P-Automatic for Christmas this year. I had to test it out right away and it worked great, except I was very disappointed in the 200 psi gauge selection.

The gauge itself is practically useless. To start, it's not accurate at all below 30 psi (I wouldn't expect a 200 psi gauge to be), so users need a separate gauge to air down. And the same for airing up.... although it's good enough to get in the "ballpark" of the pressure I'd want, the resolution just isn't there. I've been in the offroad world for quite some time and I've never heard of someone inflating their tires over 60 psi; the most common range for oversized offroad tires is 30-50 psi. A 0-60 or 0-100 psi gauge would be much more applicable for this kit. I provided a picture with this E-mail to show what I'm talking about for the resolution of the gauges.

I'm not sure if the 200 psi gauge was put there for legal/liability reasons? In any case, the compressor is designed to kick on below 120 psi and turn off at 145 psi. So if the high pressure gauge is required to cover those pressure, I would advise looking at a 0-150 or 0-160 gauge to help a bit with the resolution.

I was hoping that you could help me replace the gauge on my unit with a more applicable 0-60 psi gauge. I looked at McMaster.com's catalog and a 0-60 psi, 4" round, 1/4"NPT, non-certified gauge costs $80 + shipping. Can you help locate (or even supply) a more affordable replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Matt

I just realized that the McMaster guages are all Grade-A accuracy... I'll have to wait for VIAIR to respond since I don't know what class their gauge is.

If it's Grade-B, I can get something like this:
    http://valvesandinstruments.com/3-1-...05-02l-60.html

Edit: Just measured and looks like the VIAIR is a 2.5" gauge face, so this one would be more applicable:
    http://valvesandinstruments.com/2-1-...05-02l-60.html
    Last edited by Matt; 01-01-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Yeah I knew something was off when I went to Northerntool and saw gauges for $10....

Check this one out. It's grade-A (+/- 1%) and liquid filled:
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPA...MX9?Pid=search
    $40... still better than $80! May get that for my shop gun since that gauge is off.

Hear back from VIAIR. I was right... they basically have the high pressure gauge on there because the compressor is capable of reaching 150 PSI, so they really couldn't do anything for me.

Just ordered this guy from McMaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#3846k16/=fmww9f
    $11

thats pretty cool! wonder what the "auto" mechanism is... i have an air pump that looks remarkably like the one you ordered a couple fittings and we're off!

here's the one i've got:

Last edited by collinsgto; 01-02-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Almost all VIAIR pumps look like that, but each has different features & intended uses. What does the tag on the pump say? Should have a part or model number on it.

I bet its one of these:
    http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/compressors.html

Got my $11 gauge from McMaster today... this'll give me a bit more accurate of a reading

and you'd be correct! its a 450C. looks like i'll need to get a reservoir tank if i plan on taking this on the trails with me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information