Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi-Lift & 4xG sliders?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Hi-Lift & 4xG sliders?

Another Christmas present came in today

Going to see how well it works lifting by the notches in the 4XG sliders tomorrow. Also need to make some mounts for my roof rack!!
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 12-31-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Well i've hit my first "bummer".

Was hoping to get home this afternoon and snap some pictures of the jack holding my flexed out rear tire off the ground... instead i almost ended up with body damage.

The jack itself is solid... the jacking points on my vehicle however, are not.

My first attempt I just threw the jack under there close to where the notch is in the sliders. Figured i'm on a level surface with a solid base... if being off 1/2" here matters than this will be useless offroad; unfortunately, that was the case. As soon as I started lifting the jack tilted inwards until the top bar hit my door. Luckily it was just a "soft" collision and no damage:

^ You can see in the pictures the main problem. The notches in the slides only catch the very tip of the lifting foot and doesn't provide support anywhere else. The moment (torque) created by this about the base of the jack results in rotation until its counteracted (by the door).

Against my better judgement i decided to give it another shot. I positioned the base further under the vehicle to reduce the effect of the moment created by the above conditions.....

... i was blinded by my desire for this to work. When you start lifting, either the vehicle has to slide toward the jack OR the jack slides/pivots toward the vehicle.

This time the jack hit the door with a bit more force . NO DENT (i didnt get high enough).. but left a little scratch (that you probably cant see if i dont point it out)..

^^FYI, what you dont see in this picture is that the base of the jack actually kicked outwards a few inches as well.

This isn't really a Hi-Lift review... the flaw is definitely with the lifting points on the sliders. The sliders need to latch on to more of the jacking foot and rest up against the vertical portion to provide support to reduce/counteract the moment created. Putting all of the force on the very tip of that foot just doesn't work [as i thought it was meant to be used]

Looking back at 4XG's website i think they meant "emergency" literally:
    2 gusset-supported notches — one front and one rear — for more secure (emergency) vehicle lifting with a HiLift-type jack.
    ... I don't see using these points as lifting points unless you absolutely have to; and be prepared for body damage.

Needless to say:
    Last edited by Matt; 12-29-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I think Pjimjr or whatever had this happen to him too.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    I think Pjimjr or whatever had this happen to him too.
    So I am not crazy (Well ok in this matter lol) I have a large crease in my rear passenger door from it when I popped the bead while on the trail. I had thought I must have done it wrong. Didn't they test for this, since the notches are put in for this reason; unless I missed something.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Yeah man... i remember you having this issue too but thought it was maybe the way you put it on. Nope, it's not your fault.

The only was I can think to resolve this is to make an adapter that would wedge between the sliders and the vertical portion of the jack; giving the jack something to "push" up against to resist pivoting.

I'm a bit disappointed here; this was one of the major selling points for me

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    I think that there is an attachment for the Hi Lift jack so that it can be used on bumpers. I used to use one on my TJ without the attachment. Mostly we used them on the trail for lifting and then pushing the Jeep off the jack to clear boulders or for clamping or short winching jobs.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    We had the same issue when we tried to lift Phunkydude's XK when he "broke" on Broken Arrow in AZ. The body line of the Commander requres you to set the jack further away which is not safely possible.

I would like to see someone with a Hi-Lift take a photo with Sal's Slider so I can see what the distance from the body is (I sold my hi-lift).
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Just from the pictures, I would put money on it that I can find a way to safely lift the vehicle with the SA sliders.

Jon, I actually have an idea for a hi-lift adapter for your sliders that would make the process fool-proof and as safe as it gets (it would completely eliminate the possibility of the jack slipping off the slider. )

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Those Hi-Lifts are great, but they've caused collective damage in the millions to various rigs. The problem is they can kick out. If it's towards the rig, it can all but act like a can opener.

What you REALLY want is an X-Jack. http://www.bushranger.com.au/xjack.php Not only more stable, but it'll lift about as high. (30") And, they're great on soft stuff, where a Hi-Lift needs a large pad to keep from sinking in.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information