Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wow, what horse crap!

wow, what horse crap!

a marine is facing up to 15 years for this nonesense.

“The law itself is clear,” he said, “if you knowingly possess a loaded firearm in New York, then you are technically guilty of a serious crime. The fact that somebody in another state has a valid concealed carry permit is, legally speaking, irrelevant in New York.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/03/ma...#ixzz1iPgAfqgA
    Last edited by collinsgto; 01-03-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i dont agree with NY laws at all but I thought it was common knowledge that you cant take your handgun into the city. ignorance of the law is no excuse, no matter what your opinion of said law may be.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Its kind of dumb to have a law like this with no stipulation for someone trying to be responsible. OK, ignorance is not a great excuse, but mistakes happen. They're should be a clause that allows willing forfeiture/turn-in of the firearm from someone who unknowingly breaks the law and wants to make it right by handing in their gun. As it stands, someone who willingly tries to turn in their firearm gets a mandatory 2 year minimum prison sentence??? That right there is BS.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    New York doesn't recognize any other states pistol permits. I thought everyone knew that. Not only that, but I have a full unrestricted concealed pistol permit for the state of NY and I'm not even allowed to conceal in NY City. I dont agree with any of the above, but think it is necessary for individuals to really look into out of state laws before carrying out of state.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Our Brother in Jeep; Caleb sent this to me.

Record Gun Sales

Background Check System in December. Nearly 500,000 of those were in the six days before Christmas.
    It was the highest number ever in a single month, surpassing the previous record set in November.
    On Dec 23 alone there were 102,222 background checks, making it the second busiest single day for buying guns in history.

I am not sure if I plut it in the right place, if you think you should move it, please do so.

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    New York doesn't recognize any other states pistol permits. I thought everyone knew that. Not only that, but I have a full unrestricted concealed pistol permit for the state of NY and I'm not even allowed to conceal in NY City. I dont agree with any of the above, but think it is necessary for individuals to really look into out of state laws before carrying out of state.
    granted, i don't go to new york often, hardly ever actually, but I had no idea there was that much difference in laws between states. This marine's misfortune is my wake up call. If I plan to travel, I'm for sure going to study other state's gun laws.

Blog Entries
    If you have a concealed carry permit then it is your responsibility to keep up on the laws. When you go to take the class the instructor will most likely inform you of this and will tell you where to find the information. Its not something that is ignored. One website in particular is handgunlaw.us , it shows the individual states and their reciprocity with other states. NY does not honor Indiana's permits and as stated above, you still couldnt carry in NYC if they did. Its really common knowledge among friearms enthusiasts and carry permit holders.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Agree 100% - Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

That being said, when someone realizes they are in violation of a law and tries to fix it (assuming it is a 'victimless' crime, as in this case), they should get a walk, at most a slap on the wrist. But a felony conviction?!?

For quick reference when traveling I use this app on my Android: https://market.android.com/details?id=ryan.ccw Best ccw app I've found so far! I always check the laws of the states I will be visiting BEFORE going there.

ETA: I just read the story and it's not the one I was thinking it was. I assumed it was another one I just heard about. http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...-laws-hard-way

So this is two similar cases within the last couple of weeks!
    Last edited by brendon; 01-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    I totally disagree with New York's and especially New York City's gun laws. Washington D.C. is just as bad. I just cant believe there is someone here on the east coast that didn't know that carrying in NYC is against the law. Maybe not the average person but we are talking about concealed carry permit holders.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Pretty sure almost everyone at least "heard" about the law after Buress shot himself in the leg in a NYC club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information