Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Appalachian Trail

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Appalachian Trail

Promised my daughter I would take her on a section hike this summer. I took her out for an evaluation hike yesterday to see what level her training needed to start at. Good thing we have six months to train LOL she didn't do bad but needs work to hike the 10 miles a day in the mountains required to complete some sections in a decent amount of time. Now the hard part is finding something she can eat out there. I need to put a minimum 2500 calories in her a day on the trail and she's finicky with food. I told her if she can't eat a MRE or a civilian version of it or some type of high calorie trail food she can't go. this part should be interesting LOL

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Good luck! Have you looked at http://www.mountainhouse.com/ meals? They aren't bad and only require boiling water.

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    Good luck! Have you looked at http://www.mountainhouse.com/ meals? They aren't bad and only require boiling water.
    Thanks for the link I'd hate not to take her because of food. She so picky in what she eats but I know the calorie demands of a long hike and cant risk it. I'll check that link thanks.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    REI has a good selection of flavors but are expensive, our NEX and Walmart both carry them also (in the camping area), but don't have as large of selection as REI. All the mountainhouse stuff that I've eaten has been pretty good for what it is.. it's no gourmet meal, but I sure wasn't disappointed.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    In the absence of real food, people will eat anything. So the first couple days might be tough. After that I bet she'll eat.
    How far of a section do you plan on hiking? how long? Is there a place we can air drop some beer?

I have done a couple small sections of the trail. Hiking along the Appalacian was one of my life goals.
    Not the entire trail, just some of it.

We're going to start out with a small section hike around 40 miles or so. In those conditions I cant wait for her to starve to finally eat something LOL. I'll find something and supplement with gels and stuff for calorie boost or something.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I think that's really awesome. I used to camp and do a lot of hiking with my Gramps. When I started college I started hiking every summer in Umstead Park with a group of friends. Amazing de-stressing tool. Umstead Park is in Raleigh and it has some novice trails as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    I think that's really awesome. I used to camp and do a lot of hiking with my Gramps. When I started college I started hiking every summer in Umstead Park with a group of friends. Amazing de-stressing tool. Umstead Park is in Raleigh and it has some novice trails as well.
    I'm going to use URE as a training area when we get to the over night stuff.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    URE would be perfect for starters. Ive camped up on the AT here in Va numerous times but have only hiked a couple of miles of it. Too bad we dont live closer to each other. Im sure I could learn a lot from someone with your background.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    URE would be perfect for starters. Ive camped up on the AT here in Va numerous times but have only hiked a couple of miles of it. Too bad we dont live closer to each other. Im sure I could learn a lot from someone with your background.
    I do have a lot of experience being outside. I have about 5-6 months to get her ready. My goal is to get her to the point that she could do it all on her own before we hit the trail. Hopefully things go well I would like to threw hike the whole thing some day

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information