Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody heard of ASFIR skidplates?

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    Couple of questions:

Will your transfer case skid work with the factory gas tank skid? The factory t-case skid bolts to the gas tank skid, but it looks like your t-case skid has its own rear brackets? If yours does work with the factory gas tank skid (I am guessing it just bolts over it), how close it the t-case bracket to the gas tank skid?

It appears as though the transmission skid doesn't cover the passenger side cat. Is there a reason why? Is there another plate the you sell that does cover it, or is it not of a concern to you?

Check out the pictures I posted, this should show what you are asking. In general the skid plates protect the "Vitals" of the vehicle drivetrain.

Disclaimer: I do not and will not claim to know every vehicle out there, so I will pass along any piece of information I have to allow you all to decide if what we offer will fit your needs.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I've bent every skid under my jeep so far. How would you compare the strength of your skids vs the OEM skid?

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    These are bound to be stronger than the weak OEM skids! I was looking for a good replacement for the 4xGuard Belly and I hoped Asfir would be the answer, but now I am not sure. If I got it I would need to fab up a cat skid to go with it. I am not looking to drop $500 on a new cat!

Armando thanks for the link! I couldn't find that page from the site's home page. I am liking the price of the t-case skid! Though I am not sure why the pic in the link is different than the one installed on the pic you posted? Same with the tranny skid? The ones in the Commander link seem to be correct. Do you have any instal pics of the 542055 front skid?
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Ya I bent my belly guard pretty good had fun doing it to. I like there tranny skid which is the suspension skid to us correct? It looks like it allows good air circulation.

This would be the Belly replacement:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	545060-solid.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	1104

If the weights listed are correct, it only weighs 5lbs less than the Belly and doesn't cover as much. So I will probably just reinforce the Belly to take the abuse.
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

This would be the suspension skid replacement:

Name:	545057-solid.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	1105

Not sure how this big boy could be 18lbs and the tranny skid is a wopping 27lbs? Which leads me to believe the tranny skid's listed weight is incorrect.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Looks like it will not be a replacement for the belly skid I have to get the cats covered, mine are extremely dented and the after the last trip is my number one priority
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Since I did the other two I may as well post the t-case skid:

Name:	545065-solid.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	1106

This one is also listed as 18lbs.

Suspension Skid: $300 at 18lbs.

Transmission Skid: $234 at 27lbs.

Transfer Case Skid: $247 at 18lbs.

Another thing is the Commander suspension skid is listed as $300 and the Grand Cherokee is listed as $337 even though it is the same skid?

We have a full 1/4' 5052 aluminum skid plate. Not to say they will not bend, but as this material has a higher modulus of elasticity it will bend far greater than steel and return to shape. If you do get it past the "return" point it will bend. Part of our engineering to to plage the skid plate out at a distance that will absorb the energy and allow the brackety to provide a sub-structure strength.

Like I have said before, I launch our JK on our skids and have always driven away with al my vitals in working order! I really can't say so much for U-Joints and Trackbar mounts though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    Since I did the other two I may as well post the t-case skid:

Name:	545065-solid.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	1106

This one is also listed as 18lbs.

Suspension Skid: $300 at 18lbs.

Transmission Skid: $234 at 27lbs.

Transfer Case Skid: $247 at 18lbs.

Another thing is the Commander suspension skid is listed as $300 and the Grand Cherokee is listed as $337 even though it is the same skid?
    The images on our website are of just the skid plates from Solidworks and do not always show in scale or with all of the added crossmembers and brackets. Also, some of the belly pans, the Commander comes to mind as it has all of those holes cut into it, may be 1/ 4" Steel.

I will be in the office tomorrow fitting with Jon and I will look over all of the Commander and GC skids and have a definite answer to the weight and coverage issues.

As for the cats, I would look into some tube with an ID that fits over them and then clamp them on to allow some protection. If you are hitting on them that hard I would look at relocation of them at a muffler shop.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information