Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody heard of ASFIR skidplates?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I was going to make an aluminum version of the SA skid plate but didn't think there would be a big enough market for me.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    It depends on which blend of aluminum you use. At the same thickness it can be twice as strong as steel. But that is really expensive.
    Reeeally expensive!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Reeeally expensive!
    Reeeaallly expensive like a $300+ suspension skid.

Reeeaallly expensive like a $300+ suspension skid.
    Lol..... Lets just say that I wouldn't pay $300+ for an aluminum skid without knowing what grade aluminum it is.

And either way, I'd still prefer a much cheaper / slightly heavier steel plate.... lol I don't want to worry about "damaging my expensive skids"!

With that said, I'd love for someone to get them so we can check them out.

I heard that aluminum don't slide to well over rock like steal does or maybe we discussed that hear before anyway I read somewhere.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Aluminum is softer and would gouge easeier I would think.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    Aluminum is softer and would gouge easeier I would think.
    you have to keep in mind that there are several blends of aluminum available. It's strength varies greatly on which blend you use. It goes by a number system which I can't remember what they are but I think 5120 is one of something like that.

I heard that aluminum don't slide to well over rock like steal does or maybe we discussed that hear before anyway I read somewhere.
    We talked about that here. Again it depends on the composition of the aluminum...

FYI I checked out S4XC's tcase skid. Its 3/16" 5052, but they don't state the temper condition. I'd guess its 1/4 hard since that's the most popular..... which puts it at about half the strength of general purpose steel. BUT its extremely corrosion resistant.

I've never scraped aluminum across rocks, but the way I see it a softer metal will allow jagged edges to dig in and grip better. But hell, if people are using them for competition I'd like to know what grade their using and how they hold up to impacts..... nothing beats trailside experience!

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    A lot of questions here in regards to the ASFIR4x4 products. I will try to get some of them clarified.

1. The factory and development is in Israel. As a large Military vehicle contractor in the European/Middle East market all of our products are designed to take incredible abuse.

2. Our Skid Plates are made from 1/4" 5052 Aluminum. The same material used for armored vehicles for over 100 years. I drop our 6000 lb. JK on rocks here in AZ and other than a dent and scratch here they are up to the task.

3. We are more expensive than other skid plates on the market, but that is because of the engineering, additional coverage we offer and some material cost differences.

4. The weight savings is half as much as a comparable steel set. On a JK the core 4 pieces net 85 lbs versus 180 - 195 lbs for steel.

5. Aluminum does not crumple like steel when you land on it. As the Modulus of Elasticity is much greater it will flex and return to shape much better. Plus if you happen to bend it a 5 lb. sledge on the neighbors driveway will bring it back to shape. As an added measure 5052 is a work hardenable material and when you pound it back into shape it gets stronger.

6. 5052 does not grab on rocks, the softer materialmolds around shapes and deflects. Not to say you will not get some scratches/gouges on them, but that just proves they are working.

7. Aluminum will not corrode. Everytime the material is scratched ot abraded it will regenerate a new layer of aluminum oxide to protect itself. So scratch and gouge away, it will not affect it.

8. We sell this line for the Daily Driver that wants to get his rig home on monday to get to work but likes to go out and play with the assurance that the vital components of the vehicle are well protected.

I will throw a special offer to one person on this forum that would like to try the skid plates, come wheeling with a few of us and then report back on what the final outcome was. As we are in Arizona I just ask that you can travel to a trail out here. Just send me a PM about your vehicle and what you think of our products (I do really like skeptics).

Thank you.

Armando Verdugo
    Sales Manager
    ASFIR4x4
    16050 N. 76th Street #103
    Scottsdale AZ 85260

[email protected]
    480.247.9545 office
    480.290.5993 mobile

I love getting info straight from the source, thanks!!

Also love the offer to test it out.... Jon, maybe that's a good opportunity for you and then even become a distributor? ??

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information