Thread: Spark Plug Replacement for 2009-2010 5.7L HEMI

Spark Plug Replacement for 2009-2010 5.7L HEMI

You will require 16 replacement plugs, I went OEM after browsing some other forums and reading about issues with some after market plugs. The "MOPAR" replacements are NGK Nickel plugs, Part # SPLZFR5C11. The dealership list price was $9 per plug, I managed to talk them down to $6 a plug.

Tools I used were a gapper, 3/8" ratchet, UV Joint, 6" extension (Recommend 2, 3" extenions), spark plug socket, 10mm socket, air line hose, anti-sieze, di-electric grease and torque wrench.

I took around 2 1/2 hours to complete the change with pre-gapped plugs (0.043 gap, factory ones varried between .042 and .044)

Preform on a cold engine!!!!

I started on the Driver's side as it has the least amount of room to work with. Start by popping off the engine cover, you remove the oil fill cap and pop the cover up and slide forward.

Ideally clean the area by spraying compressed air, mine froze up as it was 3C (37F). The coil pack is held on by 2, 10mm bolts. The bolts are self captured so they dont come completely out. The electrical connector can be removed by squeezing the tab and pulling up, I found if you push down while squeezing the tab it makes life easier. Once the bolts are loose you just grab the coil and pull straight out, there will be a popping sound when it releases.

Next you can remove the plug. Depending on what cylinder you are at will determine what setup of extension and universal you will need. I found putting the universal on top of the plug socket gave the advantage of "flexing" while entering the hole.

Here is the type of clearance as you get closer to the front.

I think a 3" extension would have been perfect with the universal but I couldn't seem to find mine.

To put in the new plug I used a piece of air line hose to insert it into the hole to prevent cross threading the plug.

The old plugs were a little tight to remove so I applied a light coat of anti-sieze as well.

I torqued the plugs to 12.5 Ft/Lbs because of the anti-sieze applied, text book is 13 Ft/Lbs. (*NOTE: The 5.7L V-8 is equipped with torque critical tapered design spark plugs. Do not exceed 15 ft. lbs. torque.)

Next I applied some di-electric grease to the spark plug boots and re-assembled.

I worked on one cylinder at a time to keep everything clean and tidy.

The old plugs had 59,000km on them and had normal wear patterns.

If all is good she will fire up and purr like a kitten
    I did notice a change in the idle when it was started. I will keep an eye on the mileage but dont expect any significant improvements (it has gotten over 24 MPG on the highway with cruise set just over 60 Mph)
    Old: 2006 Base, 4.7L, QT-II
    New: 2010 Sport, 5.7L, QT-II, Front Tow Hooks, Tow Package and 7 pin Mopar Harness ( Spliced 4 pin into harness), Mopar Skid Plates

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Nice thanks for the write up on this.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I didn't see anything in the procedure that would differ from the earlier years. My 07 was just like that, only it DOES use different plugs!

Thread Information