Thread: Old past rides

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar

Old past rides

Somewhere, I could've sworn there was a thread called "past rides" or something to that effect. Maybe it's on "the other" Jeep forum, as I can't find it here.

Anyway, I was going through old photos and found a few to post. I was (and still am) hunting for pictures of "The Green Toad" which was my '56 high hood mud racing jeep. That has an LT1 Corvette motor, and was all roll cage. The windshield was steel mesh - no glass.

This was about 20 years ago, and is me sitting on my "80 80" Harley. (1980, 80 cubic inch shovel head)

Something like three decades ago next to my turbocharged Toyota Landcruiser FJ-40.

After some serious mudding. The driveway actually got built up about 4" with all the mud washing.

The Toyota's engine. Lord knows what HP it had, but I could do (no kidding) 70 MPH in sand dunes. It mostly ran on 100 octane aviation fuel. (It was easy to get then, especially when dad had a Piper Tri-Pacer at the airport) It was my first turbo setup, built from an old Stearman radial engine's pulled unit. The boost was controlled by an Impco control valve. (Which suck, a wastegate is MUCH better)

Notice the chromed pipe between the turbo's compressor outlet and Impco valve. That is a chromed brass drain pipe for a men's room urinal. (I bought it new!) When my buddies found out what that pipe was made for, it was known forever onwards as a "Toileta Landcruiser." The air cleaner stuck out through the hood in the corner, which looked odd.
    Last edited by Adondo; 01-11-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Thread Information