Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a computer expert... (Hoax, you around?)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    ive got a pretty good virus protection setup and this computer is pretty low risk... never open up forwarded emails (even though my father-in-law sends a million chain emails a day), dont download music or anything else from any sharing software, and the only websites i frequent are forums or online stores; actually, most of my browsing is really done on my phone or laptop (which im posting from now). So i doubt its a virus.

But yeah, if i dont figure it out and it gets more consistent i'll just wipe it clean and start fresh.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Viruses have to REALLY bad to require a format to fix it. Also a virus isn't generally intermittent.

My analogy for format reloading (wiping drive and re installing windows) is like amputation. Ah we'll just skip trying to fix it, and cut it off. When I was actively doing computer repair for a living I came across maybe 5 machines that I couldn't fix without formatting. Not to say that formatting wouldn't have been quicker, but it's a challenge to "actually" repair the problem instead of amputating.

I hear that. One of the reasons i'd consider formatting is just because this computer really isn't full of software and a bunch of stuff that would be "lost" by formatting. I have all of my files backed up, so i'd just need to reinstall Chrome and Office and be rockin-n-rollin again. There's a few other odds & ends (dropbox, aimersoft, etc), but they're no big deal.

I would like to make sure its not a hardware issue first. So i'll continue to troubleshoot when it happens again and go from there.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    Viruses have to REALLY bad to require a format to fix it. Also a virus isn't generally intermittent.

My analogy for format reloading (wiping drive and re installing windows) is like amputation. Ah we'll just skip trying to fix it, and cut it off. When I was actively doing computer repair for a living I came across maybe 5 machines that I couldn't fix without formatting. Not to say that formatting wouldn't have been quicker, but it's a challenge to "actually" repair the problem instead of amputating.
    I dont view whipping a virus out as a challenge. So in instead of spending like 10hrs fixing it I'd rather hit those two little keys and be done in 1hr and have a clean brand new system when I'm done.

Yea the problem I had with that was clients never have their data backed up. So then I have to ask all the questions about what they have and what they need and what they don't need. Blah blah, it was more headache then it was worth in most cases for me.

On my personal systems it depends sometime I just say F it and wipe it, sometimes I'm going to beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    sometimes I'm going to beat it.

edit: disclaimer- im drinking vodka... i think the "beer balls" phenomena exists on forums as well when you're drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    hahahahaaha

If its a backed up system I don't hesitate just F that or ALT what ever and wipe that sucker out.

Just hit o-beer-thirty on the west coast.. so I'll join you..

Totally depends on the backup, and the software people are using. You have to remember I was doing this for people who were paying someone to come to their house and fix it and leave. They were paying a premium price, and expected not to be inconvienced, it should be working exactly how they had it before whatever problem occurred before they called me.

Yeah man, its a completely difference scenario when someones paying you to fix it... lol someone doesn't want to pay a premium price to have you format their hard drive. I can see that conversation right now "are you f'in serious? i could've done that!!!" hahaha

Ok I've been drinking LOL and yes I've seen that error before as well. But I'm trying to drink enough to forget name I can't remember where I've seen that error before LOL. Have you put the windows disk back in and do a repair or a CHKDISK all the basic stuff yet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information