Thread: Loud popping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    it was all sand and I was digging in really hard trying to climb a hill. I talked to Robby about this as well, and since I am not the only one this has happen to under theses type conditions I think were going to call it the TCS maybe. I get what Doc has said and makes tons of sense but my tires were pretty level almost at normal drive angles and I have never heard anything remotely to this sound before even with all the off roading I have been doing but I have not ever sat there and spun my tires in this way either. So considering I'm in 4LO and might have been in second gear as well spinning the tires. This is what robby offered up.
    At that moment, all free play within the differental is taken up, everything from the outer c/v of the slipping wheel, through the differental, and all the way to the outer c/v of the wheel with traction.
    In theory, this shock load would ring the driveshafts and transfer case too......sounds like it was a mechanically violent moment.
    Since I'm in WAG mode, if you had the wheels spinning fast enouph, and you did not have the trans in manual one position, it may have been in second and dropped back to first at that moment as well.....speculating on my part, but a possible scenario.
    This made a lot of sense to me and is what I think happen considering it's not just me this has happen to in this scenario.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Looks like you will just have to wait for it to happen again and try to pin point exactly where its comming from. I wasnt to worried about it because I off road all the time and it has only happend a few times.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    Mine has done it more times than I can count. Usually when I'm playing in a lot of water or wash the under side of my Jeep. It's shortly accompanied by my Christmas tree dash light Service 4wheel drive/esp/abs/brake lights. Each of the last 2 times I went out a different DTC code came with it. First time was U1417 Left Speed Sensor then the next time was U1418 Right Speed Sensor.

I have a video from November Jeepskool that shows me getting sideways down a muddy trail. The faulty speed sensor was causing my esp to override and control my ABS. Which in turn was pulsing 1 front brake and 1 rear brake trying to straighten the truck out. Each time the abs released it caused a loud pop noise. It's coming from the abs pump itself.

Tonight I just replaced the rear rotors and pads. (yesterday I did the fronts) While I was under the Jeep I dropped my spare down and hosed the year or so of caked mud from under it. I must have used 100 gallons of water. Went to take the Jeep for a ride to cut in the pads and guess what came on? You guessed it. Abs was popping like a drive by in Compton and again it was code U1417!! Just because the connector got wet. Blew it out with my compressor and problem was gone.

Wish we could get a shut off switch like the JK's have. I blame that system for getting me stuck that time.

It might be time to wire in a kill switch of the ABS system I think.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    on the JK's we bypass the traction control and ABS system with a simple toggle switch on a wire, especailly with the superchargers installed.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I did the same thing to bypass the traction control on the XK. I have a toggle under the dash hooked to the ABS pump fuse under the hood and when I flip the switch It totally disables the Traction Control. I dont use it very often but I think once I get a locker in the rear ill use it more.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I haven't look at how to do this is there only one fuse I take it. I know I can figure this out but maybe a pic or two will help to see what you guys have done.

Thread Information