Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CB and Antenna's

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty

CB and Antenna's

First off, I'd like to acknowledge Sal for taking the time to talk to a very frustrated and angry AJ on the phone, lol. (When I'm angry my mind just shuts down, lol)

I know it sounds so cliche to say that 'We learn something new everyday' but today I really did. I'd like to dedicate this thread to everything CB and Antenna related. Pics, and of course, trials and tribulations are much appreciated. I'm hoping that this will significantly help those in the future in making decisions for there CB and Antenna selection - and ultimately avoid what I am having to do now.

In-depth analysis of CB, Antenna and installation related topics can probably be thrown in respective build threads and or a general "HOW-TO" article.

There are several companies producing Antenna's, CB, and various mounting techniques.

Anyway, last week I ordered what I thought was a complete product (including everything I needed). This was not the case. I got to my Jeep, installed my 4xG Antenna mount - and then I grabbed my Firestik antenna and I immediately knew... I do not have everything I need. Much to my dismay, there were a few things I needed in order to install this.

Firestik Stud With Screw-On Coaxial Termination for Antenna Mirror Mounts - Firestik K-4A
    FireStik K-8A 18 foot single antenna coax cable
    Firestik 3 Inch Spring Shock - Firestik SS-3H

Some other general resources:
    Firestik's website
    http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Right Channel Radio - (Recommended to me by Sal - Amazing information on everything you'd like to know about CB's and Antenna's.
    http://www.rightchannelradios.com/

For the Majority of us using 4xG antenna mounts or Sag4x4 mount - these kits on this site do not include the Stud mount needed to keep the Antenna in place on our mounting platform. Depending on the terminal end you are using to hook the coax cable to the antenna you might need the K-4 or the K-4A stud mount.

The difference between these two is that one is for a fire-ring the other is for a screw on coax terminal cable.

I welcome everyone's contribution in terms of what CB, Antenna, and Antenna mount, and location of said items are installed. Links of brands and etc are cool, and just you general opinion of the products.

Currently I use a CB from Radio Shack (will probably upgrade this) with a magnetized antenna up top.
    I have already installed my 4xG antenna mount, and I'm in the process of switching over to the Firestik configuration.

Thanks again for your help, Sal!
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 01-18-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I think most people just assume the cb stuff is self explanatory, but to those who have always used magnet type systems changing over its not.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    AJ,if it works, don't fret it. Many of the radio shacks are built by name brand companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    ...Currently I use a CB from Radio Shack (will probably upgrade this)
    with a magnetized antenna up top. .....Thanks again for your help, Sal!

4 watts is the max legal transmit power you can have. So all radios will have the same range the differences are in the bling the radio has like weather band or back light and fancy tune options.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    And you can tune any of them for better performance. Search your radio on line and
    you can fine tune it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    4 watts is the max legal transmit power you can have. So all radios will have the same range the differences are in the bling the radio has like weather band or back light and fancy tune options.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    The CB itself really isn't the problem - The Antenna was the problem. It had a magnetized mount, which I placed, centered, on the rear of the vehicle. Problem with this is that it keeps getting knocked off the roof every time I go under a branch or sign or whatever. The Antenna is what is currently replaced - soon as all the parts show up.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The CB itself really isn't the problem - The Antenna was the problem. It had a magnetized mount, which I placed, centered, on the rear of the vehicle. Problem with this is that it keeps getting knocked off the roof every time I go under a branch or sign or whatever. The Antenna is what is currently replaced - soon as all the parts show up.
    I had the same issue with my magnetic mount. Then my radio started squealing. Sal and I screwed around with my radio for a couple of hours, it seems, only to decide that the problem was the antenna. I got me a Firestick and problem was solved.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Thanks AJ - this was very insightful. I know a CB is in my future plans at some point and I am one of the guys who thinks A CB+Antenna+Mount+Cable should be all set.

Looks like I am wrong - great post for noobs like me.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

The link for the right channel radio AJ posted is a wealth of information. You can probably learn everything you need to know from that site and the prices and customer service is pretty good as well.

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Yea I've had a few different CB's in the past. I REALLY miss my Cobra Nightwatch that I had a few years ago. It light up at night, had the weather band, echo, and bunch of other stuff. CUrrently I'm running the Wal-Mart Cobra b/c it's in the cubby hole thing.

I recently installed an external speaker under the seat and it turned out great. I can hear so much better and actually I can hear it well riding at 50 mph with the windows down. It's a Radioshack external speaker.

When I had the Cobra Nightwatch in my Toyota truck, I installed a Linear. For you guys that don't kow what that is, it's a box that increases the power output by like 10X. So I could ride down the road in North Carolina and talk to people in Georgia, LOL. At night it went as far as Mississippi and Winsconson!!!! People could hear me through thier TV and radio as I passed thier house. It was cool.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information