Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skid Plates

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Its not that hard man. I can help ya. Did it myself with half tank of gas.
    We have the how to threads done already and the thread on modding the new fuel tank as well.

Fuel tank install

F
    uel tank mod

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the ASFIR front suspension and i guess belly skid (because it reaches pretty far down the middle... misses some of the crucial belly components that need protection - Can anyone confirm that? You Jon?

Just in looking at the pictures, granted the skids look fantastic. They look VERY well designed, but I could clearly see a converter clearly exposed.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the ASFIR front suspension and i guess belly skid (because it reaches pretty far down the middle... misses some of the crucial belly components that need protection - Can anyone confirm that? You Jon?

Just in looking at the pictures, granted the skids look fantastic. They look VERY well designed, but I could clearly see a converter clearly exposed.
    You are 100% correct, the belly skid does NOT cover the catalytic converter, I pointed this out today and they are going to work on fixing that concern if possible. I currently have the ASFIR belly plate on my XK but I will put the 4xG back on if the area cannot be protected.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yeah, from what i've seen the Asfir skid does not fully protect the cats. From the other thread it looks like they're going to look into fixing that though....

Currently, 4XG bellyguard is still the way to go.

Edit: Ninja Jon beat me to it...

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Saguaro makes an adapter so you can instal either their t-case skid or the Mopar skid without having the gas tank skid. However if you are armoring up, why not get the gas tank skid!
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    Saguaro makes an adapter so you can instal either their t-case skid or the Mopar skid without having the gas tank skid. However if you are armoring up, why not get the gas tank skid!
    Exactly! Especially since the price of the adapter is just about as much as the upgrade gas tank skid. A few hours of work on a nice warm spring/summer day with some basic tools and you're set

(plus, then you have the experience so you can change your own fuel pump if/when it goes on you lol

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Exactly! Especially since the price of the adapter is just about as much as the upgrade gas tank skid. A few hours of work on a nice warm spring/summer day with some basic tools and you're set

(plus, then you have the experience so you can change your own fuel pump if/when it goes on you lol
    Yea I can see getting that experience. I have a feeling that if my fuel pump ever goes out, I'll prob look into an external pump. Save me from dropping that bad boy gas tank down more than I have too.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Gas tank and xcase skid will have to wait for me. I've been doing a lot of research on a viable xcase that I can use to swap into my WK. That said, once I know the xcase I'm going with and an idea on how it can be installed, I can see if the current available xcase skids are a working option.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Holiday Jones's Avatar
    So, with "under armour", is the factory stuff I have now worthless? I'm know there's skids under the engine, and i think around the gas tank, but it seems kinda...plastic.lol
    200 Army Green Commander Limited. HEMI. QuadraDriveII!!!! 4xGuard Matrix, 3/4" D-rings, 2" Rough Country Lift, 255/75/17 BFG M/T, 1.25" wheel spacers.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holiday Jones View Post
    So, with "under armour", is the factory stuff I have now worthless? I'm know there's skids under the engine, and i think around the gas tank, but it seems kinda...plastic.lol
    That engine skid is just a plastic cover. The fuel tank one is steel though but its the wrong one for attaching the stock transfer case skid. You will need an extra bracket or a new fuel tank skid that has the mounting holes. If you want OEM skids I recommend this place Jparts Their prices are good and they seem to have them in stock unlike most dealers. It is an actual Jeep dealer I got my skids from them and so have a few other people. Of course for after market you have the steel armadillo and 4xGuard stuff. On my first build I just got the RC spacers and spent the rest on skid plates. The armor allowed me to have a great time worry free on the trails. I would recommend wheeling full armor with no lift over any lift with no armor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information