Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A tale of two XK's.....maybe

Member Looking for Dirt

A tale of two XK's.....maybe

tl;dr - I'm debating trading off my Mini for a used XK...the problem: I think my man card is gone with this one because my wife already drives an XK.

Hello all,

A tale of two XK's...maybe. I started jeeping about 10 years back with a 1980 CJ-7 and had it for a number of years before I sold it and bought a Mini Cooper....yes, yes, laugh it up. The real amusing bit is that about a year later my wife sold her Dodge Ram (ok yeah I drove a mini and my wife drove a truck....lets move on) and she bought a used 4.7 Commander to cart around the kids that we didn't have (yet) and we still have her XK. She swears that when it dies she'll be digging through the local junkyards to resurrect the beast. After watching her drive her Dodge into the ground (we got a $1000 for the trade in out of sympathy) I hope it stays running strong for a long while. For those keeping track of these things, that leaves my wife in the V8 XK and me in the R53.

Seven years and 100K miles on the Mini later, and its time for something new(er) well sort of. I miss the CJ-7 except the raining inside the jeep with the hard top on, oh and the spending each weekend fixing the next thing that broke, oh and the I'll just change this light bulb only to have the wire break and then while replacing the wire somehow ending up having to replace a motor mount. OK that last part is a stretch but lets face it, old jeep repairs are ALWAYS an adventure and generally lead to heavy drinking. Even with all of that, I sort of miss the old jeep. Though the Jeep was a PITA sometimes at least you could work on it or find someone to work on it.

I am facing a conundrum. Do I go for an XK or a WK to replace the Mini? I've never really been in love with Grand Cherokee's because they always felt too car like for me. Intellectually I know they are quite capable four wheel drive machines (except those 2WD monstrosities) but they just never felt like it to me. The upright front window on the XK really gives it a different feel. I drove a 4 door JK last week and it just didn't really feel like a daily driver to me. The local dealership has a couple used XK's at an out of town location and I'm having one brought in to look at. To be honest it has everything I'm looking for in either a WK or XK.

So there you have it. Am I completely doomed? Is my man card gone forever now that I'm contemplating "his" and "hers" XK's in the driveway? What do you think? Go for the XK? Look for a WK?

Thoughts? flames?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    "His" & "Hers" XK's sound like a sweet setup.

I say go for it!

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I don't think any of us consider our XK's non manly. Have you seen the pictures of most of the member's on this site? We have people asking us all the time what we are driving cause they think they've never seen one. Just Lift it, put on some spacers and M/T tires and it's a heck of a sweet off road vehicle that works well as a daily driver. Go look in our photos and trails pictures. People with Wranglers are always dropping their jaws when they see some of the stuff we do with our so called non manly jeeps.

I second matt's reply, Go for it. Couldn't have a more comfortable off roader thats this capable.

If you have a choice go for the 5.7. The gas milage difference is nearly negligible for the extra power and better offroad system. I would have definitely done that had I known when I bought my 4.7.
    Last edited by superacerc; 01-24-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

The ironic part is we're going to eventually get my wife a TJ.. then when the kids are old enough (1 boy and 1 girl) we can do family offroad trips; the Commander will be the "his" and the TJ will be the "hers".

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I'm sure any of us would love a second XK LOL since you own one I'm assuming you know what your looking for as far as options and drive systems. Decide what you want out of the jeep then make sure you get the appropriate options to get what you want out of it

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    it isnt the XK that questions your manhood. You brought it here! That is what i have trouble with.
    Wait, my wife's calling. I gotta do dishes.
    I will come back and discuss my manly XK after I take out the trash.

Is this un-manly??? it has a jeep on it....

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Is this un-manly??? it has a jeep on it....

Ummm..... Yeah it is unmanly. Men don't need aprons. Aprons are for people afraid to get dirty...hehe
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Member Looking for Dirt
    We've got our eye on an 06 Limited with the 5.7L and QD-II. I've caught more $hit over the years for my Mini Cooper. Especially when my wife would roll up in her Dodge 1500 Sport. Her commander is her new baby. I'm afraid to touch the damn thing for fear that should something break on it and I was the last one to wash the windshield it would somehow be my fault and I'd be in the dog house :-P

In all seriousness though, I do like the XK's and after looking at all the Jeep products out there I keep getting pulled back to a commander. I think it is the way you sit in them that just feels more upright than a WK and they have more creature comforts than a wrangler. Also the space inside is nice for all my kite boarding gear, kids stuff etc. I looked at a liberty but if I'm going to get mediocre gas mileage anyway, I might as well be getting mediocre gas mileage in something with room and 8 cylinders. :-P

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Doesnt matter how you got here, you are here and welcome to the club.
    I believe all of us enjoy off road side of life, not mall crawlers. The
    Commander is very capable and I enjoy mine on the streets and on a
    trail. I am in the same boat you are, my wife has a new Grand and I
    cant touch it. Sal fell off his chair laughing so hard....Welcome.

Find the links for first timers and have at it. By the way, first rule of
    The Forum, if you don't post a pic, it didn't happen.

A lot of folks are quiet surprised when they first see the XK out somewhere
    and often hear comments like I had no idea the Commander could do that.

I was leading a modifed Cherokee on night on a trail and when we stopped
    he came and told me wow your not afraid to drive that thing and it did really well.
    Last edited by cico7; 01-25-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information