Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XK Fuel Economy

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peteyturbo View Post
    I keep telling myself it is the tire size skewing the numbers .
    What size tires are you running ? I went up to a 245/75 and the odometer readout is about 20 miles different from the gps with a full tank( if I remember right ) . That is definitely enough to skew your mileage if you're using the dash display. If I want to check the mileage, which I never really do, I use my GPS.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    ^^ I was going to say the same thing because if you're running a 31" tall tire, that would make his MPG of 16 go up to 17.1.

But i checked one of this threads and i believe his tires are only 1/2" taller than stock.. a 245/65/17 if i remember correctly.

The Wife averages 14Mpg with mixed highway/ city. She drives like she stole it. If the ECO comes on she just goes faster. I have milked 21.8Mpg on the highway doing 60ish, bone stock and no roof rails.
    Old: 2006 Base, 4.7L, QT-II
    New: 2010 Sport, 5.7L, QT-II, Front Tow Hooks, Tow Package and 7 pin Mopar Harness ( Spliced 4 pin into harness), Mopar Skid Plates

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    She drives like she stole it.
    LMAO that's hilarious!

She drives like she stole it
    I picked the Commander out for me as a tour gift..........She rarely drove the 06. So she did "steal" it from me.....
    Old: 2006 Base, 4.7L, QT-II
    New: 2010 Sport, 5.7L, QT-II, Front Tow Hooks, Tow Package and 7 pin Mopar Harness ( Spliced 4 pin into harness), Mopar Skid Plates

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    When I first bought it, mine was at or around the 20's on the highway. I once posted a photo of the computer showing 20.8 MPG after a day trip.

Now? With a lift kit, 265/70 M/T's and roof rack catching the air? It's doing fantastic to get 14.5 on the highway, and 10 in town. BTW, the tire guys said those M/T's would "negativity impact the MPG." They weren't kidding.

On edit: I've reset the speedo with the Hyperchips programmer, so it matches the GPS. That means it REALLY DOES get as crappy of MPG as the computer shows.
    Last edited by Adondo; 01-30-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    On edit: I've reset the speedo with the Hyperchips programmer, so it matches the GPS. That means it REALLY DOES get as crappy of MPG as the computer shows.
    Yeah I've noticed that I always have to put in a smaller tire size to get the speedometer accurate since the tire flexes with the vehicle weight.... so for my 245/75/17 that are supposed to be 31.5" tall I had to put in 30.5 to get my computer to read accurately. That works out being right too if you follow most programmers instructions; they say to measure from the center of the hub to the ground to get the true "effective" radius of the tire and double that for the programmed diameter.

A lot of people just put in the tire diameter based on size... always makes me wonder if their reported mpgs are a bit inflated because of that... (though its only about .5 difference in most cases. Still food for thought)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Lt_JWS's Avatar
    Well guess i shouldn't complain.... I get around 15mpg driving the on the roads around here, on the highway I get 18(without roof racks), I just ordered a AEM intake for $172US shipped(new/amazon!) that should get me another MPG and my ported Throttle body should breath easier!
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    A roof rack and its catching the air profile does make a difference.

As for the tire diameter, I just went for a road trip, and "messed" with the tire size a bit at a time until it matched the GPS in speed and distance. The programmed value is written down somewhere, and isn't a match to the actual tire size. It's black magic to get perfect I guess.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    I'm getting 14-17 MPG highway--corresponding to 80 mph and 60 mph respectively.
    In town, it's more like 10-12. My Fuelly average (including off-roading) has dropped to about 13.5 with all the mods.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information