Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duratracs or STTs

Member Looking for Dirt naidib04's Avatar

Duratracs or STTs

What are your guys' thoughts on these tires? They seem to have too small of a sidewall for me. I currently run Desination M/Ts but when those are shot I am going with an OME lift and probably 285/70s. I am leaning towards Duratracs but these M/Ts are damn near unstoppable in the mud and that is the main offroading I do.
    2006 WK Limited - Hemi, QDII, OME HD with MLL, 265/70R17 Firestone Destination MT, Gutter Guard Grill, Cobra CB with 3' whip, Custom 3'' exhaust, aFe CAI with Pre-filter, Low Profile Driving Lights, Saguaro 4xC CB mount, Rear Hitch Recovery with 3/4 D-Ring Shackle, Front Tow Hooks, Superchips Flashpaq 3875, Shorty Antenna, Rola Roof Rack, Rusty's Adj. Rear Track Bar

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    if it were mine I would get the STTs
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    For mostly mud.. id definitely go with the STT's.

(I have the Duratracs... but i wouldn't buy them for mud)
    Last edited by Matt; 01-28-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the duratracs are not a mud tire. I have had great results out of them in other terrain and snow. and they ride nice, not too loud, and wear wonderfully.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I say Duratracs (maybe im biased because I'm on my second set of the new MT/R's and wouldnt buy any other tire). My little brother has STT's on his Wrangler and hates them. He said they arent good in the mud compared to other tires he's had in the past. The duratracs might not be classified as a mud tire but they got some nice lugs on the outsides. Plus the nice all terrain pattern in the middle for normal daily driving.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 01-28-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I've known quite a few guys with STT's on their wheeling rigs who have loved them. One in particular actually sells tires for a living and has them all at his fingertips (toyos, bgfs, coopers, etc etc) and swears by the STT's.... actually, some of you guys have even seen him wheeling in Uwharrie.

..... how about some KM2's instead of the Duratracs?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I guess it all depends on what he is planning on doing with his Jeep. I do realize that he wants a tire that's good in the mud. But as we all know, our vehicles (going off actual mileage) are on normal roads 99% of the time and only off road about 1%. Now i know some people off road more then others but lets be realistic. Now with that being said, Im pretty sure the Duratracs arent all that bad in the mud. So basically you need to look at the cost of the tires and what you plan on using your Jeep for. Again im probablly biased to the Goodyear brand but it doesnt help that my MT/R's out perform my brothers STT's in every terrain and his Jeep is built (6+ inch lift, rear dana 60 rock jock with detroit locker, currie dana 44 front with ARB locker, 4.56 gears and the list goes on and on. $20,00 in parts alone was put into it in a matter of a month)
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I read stories like that for every tire on the market, regardless of which tire is being talked about.
    MT/R is not the same as Duratrac... i wouldn't say that the Goodyear Fortera would outperform the STT just cause it's a Goodyear. lol maybe your buddy just doesn't know how to drive

In any case, i still wouldn't recommend the Duratrac over STT's if "mud" is the primary terrain. I've seen the STT's on plenty of wheeling rigs and they're nothing to scoff at (IMO of course... experience will vary).

Then again......... (sorry Chris)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information