Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Duratracs or STTs

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I have seen every kind of tire get sidewall cuts. The STTs wear well, are durable, and an all around great mud tire. All o the edges on the Duratracs give them a huge advantage on the rocks.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I really don't typically do a lot of mudding - Most of my wheeling is on the beach or out in Uwharrie and similar conditions... so typically Dirt/Rock trails. As a result, Duratracs were the perfect selection for me. My point is if you know what type of wheeling you are typically doing, select the tire that is most conducive to your wheeling environment. Duratrac is a great tire, but mud is not its forte - it should not even be in your options.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    If money is a factor then go to Walmart...they have duratracs but they call em authorities...they quoted me $800 for a set of 265/70/16 c ratings...
    Have:
    '06 XK 2" Daystar Lift
    Had:
    '00 XJ 6.5" Long Arm w/ 36's - '04 KJ 2.5" RC Budget Lift w/ 245/65's
    '94 XJ 4.5" RC Lift w/ 33's - '92 XJ Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ErtsRide1 View Post
    If money is a factor then go to Walmart...they have duratracs but they call em authorities...they quoted me $800 for a set of 265/70/16 c ratings...
    Anything less than 'D rating' really should not be considered.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Anything less than 'D rating' really should not be considered.
    Not questioning you, but why not?
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    Not questioning you, but why not?
    If that 'C' rating also applies to his load range, you simply should not wheel a +5000 lb vehicle with a 6 ply rating. (Generally what Load Range C means). If he is wheeling, even when mudding - you really want a strong set of tires underneath you. Really need to have 10 ply rating. When that vehicle starts to flex and the distribution of weight starts to vary - you just want to make sure that regardless of the environment your driving on, the tire can handle it and not tear a whole or rip.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I read stories like that for every tire on the market, regardless of which tire is being talked about.
    MT/R is not the same as Duratrac... i wouldn't say that the Goodyear Fortera would outperform the STT just cause it's a Goodyear. lol maybe your buddy just doesn't know how to drive

In any case, i still wouldn't recommend the Duratrac over STT's if "mud" is the primary terrain. I've seen the STT's on plenty of wheeling rigs and they're nothing to scoff at (IMO of course... experience will vary).
    Im not trying to start an argument, but it wasnt a story from a buddy nor something I read online in a review. The STT's are on my brothers heavily modified TJ wrangler and I off road with him all the time. I also have some time behind the steering wheel of his Jeep at Rausch Creek. Just to clarify, I never said every Goodyear tire will out perform other tires on the market just because its made by Goodyear. I just simply stated that my opinion on Goodyear is biased because Im running the MT/R's.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I just simply stated that my opinion on Goodyear is biased because Im running the MT/R's.
    I was just pointing out that this above statement doesn't mean the Duratracs will be a better mud tire based on your experience.... We're technically agreeing... you're saying that your biased towards GY (the brand) because of your experience and im saying that your bias towards GY is making you recommend a tire that's not really applicable to your experience (the Duratracs) because there's no link to performance between the Duratracs & MT/Rs.

Now if you're recommending the MT/Rs over the STT's, then that's a different story (which seems like what you're really saying here is "get the MT/Rs instead of the Duratracs, based off your experience).

Edit: In other words, we're both saying that there are better mud tires out there than both the Duratracs and the STTs (im just saying that IF those are the only two options, the STT would be my choice for mud... note that im running the Duratrac because i think its a much better "well rounded" tire)
    Last edited by Matt; 01-29-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I understand what your saying. If it all comes down to the mud factor then I guess it would make sense to get the STT's. Especially if your running the Duratracs and have first hand experience with them in the mud. I wonder if the OP has made a decision yet?
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 01-30-2012 at 05:24 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Do you have the new or old style MT/R?

Those were on my list of options but I didn't know anyone who had the new version yet so I was hesitant. I was also focused on ice/snow traction for daily driving in the northeast which swayed me to the DTs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information