Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did you take YOUR Jeep Commander on the 4th of July weekend?

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar

Where did you take YOUR Jeep Commander on the 4th of July weekend?

My buddy Mike and I headed out Friday night. We refueled in Yakima, then headed to Tieton. (Population about 200) From there, we headed west on French road, which becomes USFS road 1301. The 1st night was on top of a ridge, overlooking the Yakima valley. The sunrise pictures was a ''view from the bag'' as in my sleeping bag.

After that, we dropped down the hill, ran highway 12 until Packwood, then ducked back into the woods onto USFS 21. That was the last of the freeways/highways we saw for days.

We hiked the lower end of Ape Cave. The photos in the cave are of the ''Meatball'' which is a roand chunk of lava about 4 feet across that rolled to a stop and solidified in a section that almost became two levels.

The tree casts were on the way to Ape Cave. Lava flowed over the trees, leaving pits and tunnels.

We then hiked Lava Canyon. THe suspension bridge is a bit nerve racking.

A couple more nights in the woods, a few old roads got explored, and we refueled in Goldendale. We ducked under the very busy US 97, and headed east to Bickleton. The Blue Bird tavern was open, and we both had a Blue Bird Burger. Three patties, ham, bacon, fried egg, several cheese slices, and I can't remember what else. The middle of the sandwich alone, is 3 inches thick!!

More backroads across the top of the Horse Heavon Hills, then down Weber canyon to Benton City for the last 15 miles home on the freeway. What holiday traffic?!?

Photo album link: http://picasaweb.google.com/CSUeltzen/4thOfJuly2010#

Spot satellite messenger locations: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=210906
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    That's cool Adondo!

My Commander had the please of driving up my driveway onto a pair of jackstands for the weekend while I went through my checklist on the other thread, but I'm already for the Camp Commander cross country extravaganza!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    On the 4th it was all pavement went to the anual free concert and fireworks show on Ft Bragg. But I was wheeling on the 3rd

Road closed!!!

Aww, come on, you could have done that one all day!!! JK!! Were you able to try it out? It looks like there was a bit of access on the left side, but you know that pics don't always show the true dimension of things. Was it that bad?

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    I'll never understand why everyone refers to it as "4th of july" rather than independance day. we call it christmas, not 25th of december. it's new year's day, not 1st of january... blah.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Quote Originally Posted by powerslave1966 View Post
    Aww, come on, you could have done that one all day!!! JK!! Were you able to try it out? It looks like there was a bit of access on the left side, but you know that pics don't always show the true dimension of things. Was it that bad?
    The photos don't really show it that well. Maybe a horse could make it across on the left side, but that is a deep stream cut there. The left side is against the bank, and the stream bed ground between is very unstable rocks. The right is a couple hundred feet of air. I wouldn't even try my motorcycle there. If you lost it, it's a death ride to the bottom.

The culvert got washed out too, and pieces are laying down on the right, out of the photo. The gap is about two Jeep lengths wide.

That is how USFS road 4610 ends.
    Last edited by Adondo; 07-07-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc in AZ View Post
    I'll never understand why everyone refers to it as "4th of july" rather than independance day. we call it christmas, not 25th of december. it's new year's day, not 1st of january... blah.
    Oh, I don't know why...

For one thing, we never saw any fireworks. We were many, many miles for the the nearest town. And, we took off Friday the 2nd, and got home on Monday the 5th.

How about Mexico's Independance day... what's it called? Cinco De Mayo, which means ''May 5th" so they do the very same thing as we do.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    Cinco De Mayo, which means ''May 5th" so they do the very same thing as we do.
    Some in this country consider " they " and " we " as two of the same. Maybe we will just inherit the holidays from everyone else. Quatro de Julio
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

We took our Commander on a 2,200 mi. round trip to Southern Iowa to visit family and friends. RC lift was completed just one week prior, so it was also a test drive of the lift project. Smooth sailing up I-35.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    For Independence Day (nodding to Doc), I drove on concrete to Muskegon, Michigan and then sailed to Milwaukee, Wisconsin and back after spending a few days in Beer Town. But I left the Jeep at the pier. However, after the sailing vacation, I did drive to the cabin on the Ausable River, near Grayling.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information