Thread: Rear Shelf/Table

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar

Rear Shelf/Table

When I go camping I'm sick of having to unload to get to stuff on the bottom, so I decided to build a shelf. Since it was going to be large and flat anyways I figured I might as well give it four legs in case I have a need for a "table" while camping. It's a little short so it's not ideal, but better than the ground I suppose.

Hardware to hold the legs on. 1 bolt, washer and nut coupler (heheh) for each leg.

Table legs 2 x 2 x 15

Shelf/Table top 43 x 32 1/2 x 1/2 (I used birch because it's what they had precut to 4x4 for easy transport)

I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the nut coupler in the rough center of each of the legs, I wish I had a drill press.. then I used some construction adhesive and pounded the nut couplers into the legs.

Hardware in place

In table form

In shelf form, I used a piece of 1/2 x 4ft round steel which slides into the latches for the third row seats. This gives enough room to fit the footlocker underneath the shelf without interference.

In the future I plan to put some type of grating so that items on the top can't slide forward. And I still need to figure out how to attach the wood to the steel crossbar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	407206_2969045717364_1598361114_2610500_2020786791_n.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	1143  

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Good idea! Attaching the wood to the bar that's easy to undo will take some research I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention that if you remove the rear legs, and drop the steel bar down that shelf will sit flat on the floor, so you only lose 1/2" if you need to carry something tall and forgot to take out the shelf.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    What does the bar look like that holds the table up? I am thinking a carriage bolts?
    Great idea.

The bar is 1/2" round steel (solid). I drove with nothing on it yesterday and found it rattles, no surprise since it isn't fastened down. So I'm thinking of getting some split pipe insulation and covering the bar with that, and then using some velcro cable straps. I'll just put 2 slits in the wood so that I can tighten the strap and hold the wood to the bar.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    like this setup
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Got a couple more parts complete today..

I used a "shelf" to prevent items from sliding forward, it's attached with a couple of bolts and wingnuts.

Velcro loops, and pipe insulation to keep the wood from rattling against the steel cross bar support.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    looks great
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Thread Information