Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks, Sal.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty

Thanks, Sal.

Just wanted to say you are freakin' awesome, and Thanks! Driving out early in the morning to Raleigh, missing work, and then sitting around for over 3 hrs (in MEPS horrible seats) to watch me swear in. Dude - that's a true bro!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    My pleasure bro! You took a big step in life today. Not many people stand up and swear to protect our country it was my honor to bear witness to you making this sacrifice. You should know this but if you ever need anything just ask and I'll be there bro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thats awesome guys ! My family and I will never be able to thank you guys enough. Many thanks, be safe, and may God bless you, your families, and all your fellow soldiers.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    AJ, a little more depth on what you did? I take it you have joined our Armed Forces, thank you.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    AJ, a little more depth on what you did? I take it you have joined our Armed Forces, thank you.
    AJ applied and was excepted to officer candidate school so he will be an officer in the army I believe he was the only one excepted in our area!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That's awesome....Congrats AJ!!

And Cheers to Sal- just goes to show what kind of stand up guys we have here

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    AJ,

I am going to give you the same advice that I always give the fellows that are going into the service. This is real advice that will help you. It is actually worth more than my usualy advice that is free.

First, The purpose of basic is to create uniformity and to get you used to taking orders and acting as a part of a group. DO NOT try to impress anyone in basic, you will just become a target if they remember you or your name. The drill instructors alway find an example to show the others what not to do. Stay in the middle of any line, formation or group. Do not be first or last, do not do anything to draw attention to yourself. Never volunteer in basic. Survive the experience by blending in and doing what you are told to.

Now you at this point might be thinking, "What kind of advice is this". The time to shine is after basic, That is when it matters. That is when you want to show your leadership skills and intelligence. I am not at all suggesting that you do anything wrong in basic, But you need to be invisible and just get thru it. Trust me, the guy who tries to impress the D.I. will wish that he had not stood out. He will catch greif for any mistake and will not get anything for being the example.

During and after OCS you will be recognized for your ability because the goals of OCS are entirely different that Basic Training.

The second half of my advice is to be smart and use your intelligence during your time in the military. The best thing that you can do in the Service is to wisely lead and know when to use the assets that you have. Luckily our militrary has at it's disposal many different options that can be used. I am not telling you to not be brave and agressive, but use the tools that are available to you. The fellow who jumps up and charges over the berm and leads the charge is usually the first one shot. If you have Air Support or Artillery Support, USE IT. Protect your troops by thinking ahead and doing things in a way that preserves all of you. Especially in todays conflict, it is not about taking ground, it is about doing your job without getting killed. Staying behind the wall and calling in gunships makes a lot more sence for both you and the people that you will be responsible for.

Ok....off my soap box.....be smart and effective.

Also tell you parents, especially your Mother that you are going to take this advice....even if you do not take it.

Good Luck and be safe........Dying for your country is honorable...but coming home safe is every bit as honorable and much better.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Sal that's awesome that you were able to do that. I wish I was closer as I would have loved to do the same.
    A.j. Again congrats and I told you not to worry. Now make sure you take all that advice. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
    Sal that's awesome that you were able to do that. I wish I was closer as I would have loved to do the same.
    A.j. Again congrats and I told you not to worry. Now make sure you take all that advice. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!
    lol, thanks Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
    AJ,

I am going to give you the same advice that I always give the fellows that are going into the service. This is real advice that will help you. It is actually worth more than my usualy advice that is free.
    Thanks, man. You are definitely not the first person I've heard this from so - So I'll definitely take a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That's awesome....Congrats AJ!!

And Cheers to Sal- just goes to show what kind of stand up guys we have here
    Sal is pretty awesome - I refer to him as my big bro, lol! Wish I could have got done a little sooner to hang out for a little bit.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Excellent news and congrats AJ. What's next? And that's OK, you don't have to
    reply directly to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information