Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WK Front End Noises and Rough Idol

Member Looking for Dirt cprokopf's Avatar

WK Front End Noises and Rough Idol

I own a 2006 WK 3.7. I recently had the upper and lower ball joints replaced by a shop that does almost all of my work. Now I hear some nasty noises when I pull into a parking lot or the front end shifts. I had the shop check it out and they said everything is fine. It's hard for me to beleive that the parts with 90k miles didn't make noises, but the new parts do make noises. I'm thinking about replacing the sway bar bushings. Any ideas?

Also, anyone else experience an occasional rough idol when stopped?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    (saw this after responding in the other thread)

For the noise, sway bar bushings are common... but if it happened right after the work was done, that is strange. On rare occasions I have seen issues arise on higher mileage vehicles when they're put on a hydraulic lift for the first time in a while. Basically it maxes out the suspension and all of the bushings, so something that was on the verge of being "bad" gets pushed over the edge (but im talking about very rare occasions)

As for the rough idol when stopped, thats the IAC 99% of the time (Idle Air Control valve). Dan just did a write up i think on how to clean it... let me see if i can find it.

I will just replace the sway bar bushings and swat bar links. Maybe that will help. If not, I'm taking it back to the shop. I'll look for the Idle Air Control Valve write up. Thanks for the help.

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    also if the idle problem is more of it bouncing from 200-1000 rhythmically it could be the throttle Position sensor (TPS) too. Mine was doing this, and I changed the TPS for 15 bucks and about 20 minutes. All good
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Well, I'm an idiot. I recently added two 3/4" d-rings and mounts to the front of my jeep. Just so happens I was having the front ball joints replaced at the same time. All the noise has been coming from my d-rings.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Lol that's awesome.

I used some rubber washers on my d-ring bolts to keep them quiet as they slide back and forth.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cprokopf View Post
    Well, I'm an idiot. I recently added two 3/4" d-rings and mounts to the front of my jeep. Just so happens I was having the front ball joints replaced at the same time. All the noise has been coming from my d-rings.

LMAO
    Thats classic, We all have done things like it tho, glad you were able to figure it out.

I will say this, I was having a grinding sound coming from underneath near the CATS & the shop I had it at said that they feel it & hear it but have no idea what it was for the longest. I had it in a different shop & asked them to look in to it & came to find out that it was my belly skid tapping against the CATs & it was a head smacker lol
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cprokopf View Post
    LMAO well, admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery bro! J\K We all have done stuff like this in the past.

Glad we can all find humor in our mistakes. I was just relieved I didn't have to spend anymore money in the front end. I'll be adding some picks of my tow points on here very soon. I saw pics of WK in Europe with cut outs in the bumper and I stole the idea. I think it looks very good and sleek. Too bad it's noisy as hell!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information